Strategy Tester: "Waiting for Update" ???

When I try to use the Strategy Tester it opens with a black screen with "waiting for update"...no update happens and I'm stuck. I'm using MT4 build 225 from Forex.com. If I reload a new version of MT4 it works for a while, then starts the "waiting for update" nonsense. When I test I get loads of "mismatched chart errors"...could there be a relationship?
Any help is mightily appreciated!

verdelisan:
When I try to use the Strategy Tester it opens with a black screen with "waiting for update"...no update happens and I'm stuck. I'm using MT4 build 225 from Forex.com. If I reload a new version of MT4 it works for a while, then starts the "waiting for update" nonsense. When I test I get loads of "mismatched chart errors"...could there be a relationship?
Any help is mightily appreciated!

You don´t have the history data needed to display a visual chart for the selected period.
Make sure you have downloaded all data for the dates & timeframe(s) you are using first OR that you are connected to internet when starting the tester and you will be ok.

Also if you run Vista or Windows 7 run MT4 + MetaEditor as an administrator or you might encounter trouble with saving downloaded data in you program-folder creating the need for the client to download new data each session.

Also the history data are saved server-wise in your client meaning that if you for example switch from Demo-server1 to Demo-server2 you will have to re-download all data.

/ McKeen

McKeen:

You don´t have the history data needed to display a visual chart for the selected period.
Make sure you have downloaded all data for the dates & timeframe(s) you are using first OR that you are connected to internet when starting the tester and you will be ok.

Also if you run Vista or Windows 7 run MT4 + MetaEditor as an administrator or you might encounter trouble with saving downloaded data in you program-folder creating the need for the client to download new data each session.

Also the history data are saved server-wise in your client meaning that if you for example switch from Demo-server1 to Demo-server2 you will have to re-download all data.

/ McKeen

Hello,

I need help too: although I start the program as an administrator, I download the data before running the test, etc. I get Waiting for Update error message on the Stategy tester on Metatrader4. 

It has been happening to me from time to time. Then other times it doesn't happen. Maybe there is some cache that needs to be cleaned out, but I don't know about it.  

Please help!

Don't install in \program files* on Vista/Win7

WHRoeder:
Don't install in \program files* on Vista/Win7

NoIdea:

Hello,

I need help too: although I start the program as an administrator, I download the data before running the test, etc. I get Waiting for Update error message on the Stategy tester on Metatrader4. 

It has been happening to me from time to time. Then other times it doesn't happen. Maybe there is some cache that needs to be cleaned out, but I don't know about it.  

Please help!

Non of these solve my problem as I also have the same problem. Any more ideas please.

Gogelpot:

Non of these solve my problem as I also have the same problem. Any more ideas please.

Where did you get your data from ?

When you open a M1 chart for the Symbol you want to test and scroll back to the date you are trying to test from do you have bars on your chart ?

Please answer these 2 questions. 

First of all check all your journals ,comments, experts and see if any of them returns an error if they do its most propably because you put a later date before the Sooner date and when its sending the request to the server it like telling him to fetch  data froma universe where dates are actually decreasing i had the same problem.

Hi please help me my screen is black update waiting.

Lesly Nkuna:
Hi please help me my screen is black update waiting.

You haven't logged in with a valid trading account, check your credentials.

I had this problem too, and it stemmed from following tutorials on expert advisors. When I tried to follow older tutorials, back testing, putting in historical dates, and then trying to run every tick, the data was just not on my brokers machine to download. At the precision of every tick, I think they had about 35 days of AU/USD, about 90 days of EU/US, etc. When trying to run a back test, previous to the short time individual tick pricing is stored by your broker, "waiting for update" will appear, and remain on screen forever.

To see how far back your broker stores a specific timeframe, of a specific currency pair, you should back test using an EA, and do not select the "Use Date" checkbox, just start the scan letting it run using all the data it has access to, then stop it after a few seconds. Looking in the chart it created, go back to the beginning of it, and there will be your start date for that source of data.

This took me some time to realise, and I think it's pretty sad I had to work it out for myself. Searching for the answer provided nothing. Worse tho, is that the software doesn't inform you of the real problem to start with.

I hope this resolves your problem as it did mine.

Reason: