Controling EA from another terminal

Hi

I would be very grateful if somebody helps.

As you probably can find out by reading my questions, i'm newbie in forex and programing it.

I searched the forum with several keywords but i didn't find my answer .However i want to ask some questions that may be very elementary and hope to be answered by more experienced members:

• Do execution of an EA require a 24 hour on terminal ?
  • if it is a must to keep the terminal alive for EA execution,we have to place it on a 24 hour server,then is it possible to control an EA from a terminal (pc) different from the terminal (pc) that EA is placed(i mean modification or removing EA) ? How ?
  • what is the best way to keep EA parameters and trades data that made before losing them at system restart or disconnecting problems or . . . Because with any activity such as mentioned ones the EA restarts and leave previous trades without control.
Thanks

Do execution of an EA require a 24 hour on terminal ?

Depends on the EA. For example if an EA manually closes an order according to certain conditions then you will have to leave it running as long as orders are still open...

if it is a must to keep the terminal alive for EA execution,we have to place it on a 24 hour server,then is it possible to control an EA from a terminal (pc) different from the terminal (pc) that EA is placed(i mean modification or removing EA) ? How ?

U can control the server (or VPS) via MS Remote Desktop software which comes with most versions of windows. U will be able to log on to the server just as if you were sitting right there in front of it.

what is the best way to keep EA parameters and trades data that made before losing them at system restart or disconnecting problems or . . . Because with any activity such as mentioned ones the EA restarts and leave previous trades without control.

U have to design the EA to have recovery capabilities. For example u can have the EA dump all needed memory and order state to file at certain times/situations, and have it search for that file at first run, process it and continue it's operation.

gordon:

Depends on the EA. For example if an EA manually closes an order according to certain conditions then you will have to leave it running as long as orders are still open...

U can control the server (or VPS) via MS Remote Desktop software which comes with most versions of windows. U will be able to log on to the server just as if you were sitting right there in front of it.

U have to design the EA to have recovery capabilities. For example u can have the EA dump all needed memory and order state to file at certain times/situations, and have it search for that file at first run, process it and continue it's operation.

I'd just add the following:

- If you do decide that your EA only needs to be open at certain times for trading, then, as Gordon said, depending upon the level of complexity, you'll need to build your own persistence layer (to complement the persistence offered in the orders pool and history pool) so that your can write away its state for recovery when restarted. Don't let this frighten you - its not difficult to do - we can give you some help if you require.

- Regarding remote control, within our company, I use LogMeIn to remotely control PCs and Macs running the trading software. It works really well, can be achieved for free and without having to punch holes in firewalls. Also has an iPhone client which costs £17.99 but works really well. What level of control do you require as there may be other options?

CB

gordon:

thank you so much for your care and your precise answers.

I will work on designing recovery capabilities.

cloudbreaker:

I'd just add the following:

- If you do decide that your EA only needs to be open at certain times for trading, then, as Gordon said, depending upon the level of complexity, you'll need to build your own persistence layer (to complement the persistence offered in the orders pool and history pool) so that your can write away its state for recovery when restarted. Don't let this frighten you - its not difficult to do - we can give you some help if you require.

- Regarding remote control, within our company, I use LogMeIn to remotely control PCs and Macs running the trading software. It works really well, can be achieved for free and without having to punch holes in firewalls. Also has an iPhone client which costs £17.99 but works really well. What level of control do you require as there may be other options?

CB

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with complementary and encouraging answers.

I think that recovery subroutine would solve my problem and I am trying to learn more about remote desktop as Gordon and my nearby friends suggested.

would you please tell me more about LogMeIn ? Any website to learn more ?

Another alternative for remote control is using a VNC client. From the free ones, the most popular is TightVNC (http://www.tightvnc.com/). Personally I just use MS Remote Desktop since my own computer has WinXP Pro and my server runs Win2k3... It's a built in solution and I find it very reliable. Sometimes I forget I am using a remote connection, it almost feels like my own desktop. Just google "microsoft remote desktop". Good luck!

gordon:
Another alternative for remote control is using a VNC client. From the free ones, the most popular is TightVNC (http://www.tightvnc.com/). Personally I just use MS Remote Desktop since my own computer has WinXP Pro and my server runs Win2k3... It's a built in solution and I find it very reliable. Sometimes I forget I am using a remote connection, it almost feels like my own desktop. Just google "microsoft remote desktop". Good luck!

Thanks Again.One of my severe problems solved by your comments.

Now I'm learning how to use MS remote desktop as you recommended .

Best wishes.

I'd recommend trying out LogMeIn. Just go to www.logmein.com to find more. I've tried all of them over the years and find that LogMeIn is the most reliable, elegant, performant ant easy to use for what I use it for (managing PCs and Macs from a browser or from an iPhone app). And it's free. CB

cloudbreaker:
I'd recommend trying out LogMeIn. Just go to www.logmein.com to find more. I've tried all of them over the years and find that LogMeIn is the most reliable, elegant, performant ant easy to use for what I use it for (managing PCs and Macs from a browser or from an iPhone app). And it's free. CB

I will try that,of coarse.

Thanks for your care.

cloudbreaker wrote >>

You can try Teamviewer too, it's free and I do think it is more powerful than logmein, for having tryed both on same pc's for a while. What is great with teamviewer is you can run it from any kind of computer and instalation, you dont need flash install or java or other program.

Gachette:

You can try Teamviewer too, it's free and I do think it is more powerful than logmein, for having tryed both on same pc's for a while. What is great with teamviewer is you can run it from any kind of computer and instalation, you dont need flash install or java or other program.

Thank you.

would you please tell me where can i find the software ?

I will search it on web also.

Thanks Again.

Reason: