Help!! Time Series Access in Tester

I"ve been using MetaTrader for a 8 months or so. Recently i've come accross a problem while coding a new EA that I haven't been able to solve. My EA calls "iLow" and "iHigh" functions on a 1 min time frame. My EA is testing on a daily chart. I've narrowed the problem down to the fact that while in the tester the number of bars on the tester chart is limited to 1000 (I found that out by using the ibars function) which on a 1 min chart isn't even a one day. When I attatch my EA to a regular chart is works perfectly because I've have 1min data going back to 2000, but I'd like to be able to optimize the parameters in the tester. How can I set the tester so that it allows more than a 1000 bar shift in the iLow and iHigh functions?

mhawley:
I"ve been using MetaTrader for a 8 months or so. Recently i've come accross a problem while coding a new EA that I haven't been able to solve. My EA calls "iLow" and "iHigh" functions on a 1 min time frame. My EA is testing on a daily chart. I've narrowed the problem down to the fact that while in the tester the number of bars on the tester chart is limited to 1000 (I found that out by using the ibars function) which on a 1 min chart isn't even a one day. When I attatch my EA to a regular chart is works perfectly because I've have 1min data going back to 2000, but I'd like to be able to optimize the parameters in the tester. How can I set the tester so that it allows more than a 1000 bar shift in the iLow and iHigh functions?

Hi MH

What do you mean by "tester chart"? The amount of history data available for 1 minute time frame held by brokers is usually limited to a couple of days. If your EA is using close of bar on a 1 minute timescale then you could test it with every tick on 5 minutes.

There is a setting in the options-->chart tab that sets the number of bars in a chart display that you could set to 500,000. Unfortunately I do not fully understand what you are doing or your problem is so help is limited.

Thabks for the response. I'vr already chanded the setting in the options tab and downloaded history days back to 2000. That's why the EA works when attached to a regular chart, but for some reason the amount of history available in the tester is limited to 1000 bars when using the iLow and the iHigh functions. I would like the tester to be able to access the already downloaded history data past 1000 bars.

Hi MH

I see your problem now. On the back tester it has to have past the number of candles in the value of shift used in iLow before you can get a value. Back test this program in visual mode on candle close price and watch the comments. First the 100 will come up after 100 candles have past then 500 etc.

Files:
seriestst.mq4  2 kb

Ruptor wrote >>

Hi MH

I see your problem now. On the back tester it has to have past the number of candles in the value of shift used in iLow before you can get a value. Back test this program in visual mode on candle close price and watch the comments. First the 100 will come up after 100 candles have past then 500 etc.

I ran the program that you had attached. When I run it the values of the 100 500 and 1000 iLows have a value as soon as you start the back test. However, the 2000 iLow doesn't have a value until you've passed the 2000 bars in the backtesting like you mentioned in your comment. Is there any way that we could start out with more historical data so that say the 2000 iLow value would start out with a value rather than wait until the backtesting has passed the 2000 bars needed?

Reason: