POLL : How many people are successfully running automated systems using MQL4 ?

Hi,

Just wanted some feedback. There are A LOT of help requests on this forum.

I have been a software developer for 10+ years, & must say that even with all the code examples & help, the MQL4 platform is a very difficult platform to work with.

I'm still struggling to complete my system the way I want it.

Given all the reported problems, peculiarities, data issues etc etc...I have a question...

HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY RUNNING A LIVE SYSTEM LEAVING ALL ORDERS TO THE SOFTWARE WITHOUT ANY INTERVENTION ???

If you are, and are happy, let us all know how long its been running successfully.

Would be interesting to know who has got that far & found it trustworthy, or else its all an academic waste of time.

> MQL4 platform is a very difficult platform to work with

Well, it has a difficult job to do, linking the 3-D graphical world of trading to a fully compiled open-source language via an OO layer...

Maybe its because you should specify like a trader, code like a programmer?

Not an easy combination...

I have around 20 EA's plus variants that are deployed according to prevailing market conditions.

Not many systems will run year after year & stay in profit without tweaking or self-hibernating when out of sync with current patterns

Some of the systems were active for all of 08, off early this year & now showing signs of 'waking up'

Others take a different approach which I hope will last through all main market cycles, but if they dont, they get switched

Good Luck

-BB-

Thanks, forgot to mention, I've been trading futures for almost two years using an end of day system called TradingBlox. It uses a type of VBScript compiler to expose all the trading objects/indicators etc, but is a walk in the park to use compared to MQL4 - Yes, I paid for the platform, but its recouped 3000% of its purchase price :-)

HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY RUNNING A LIVE SYSTEM LEAVING ALL ORDERS TO THE SOFTWARE WITHOUT ANY INTERVENTION ???

If you are, and are happy, let us all know how long its been running successfully.

Would be interesting to know who has got that far & found it trustworthy, or else its all an academic waste of time.

What intervention are you referring to?

If the rules are well defined, I have no problems in using MQL4 to translate those rules into code.

My problem is on defining and refining those rules, and any "un-trustworthyness" would be a bug in my code (and which could happen with any programming language) but that’s not what you are talking about, is it?

·

After reviewing many articles and forum posts related to this subject, it seems that there are good traders and there are good programmers, but good traders who are good programmers are few and far between...

Just my take,

Raider

Raider wrote >>

After reviewing many articles and forum posts related to this subject, it seems that there are good traders and there are good programmers, but good traders who are good programmers are few and far between...

Just my take,

Raider

Hi Raider, yes I agree. I have been a programmer for 15+ years, and a trader for 2+. I've written successful trading strategies for EOD futures trading (which I have been running for 18 months).

However, my point is, how many people have managed to get MQL programs to that same point

i.e. they CAN and DO trust their MQL Experts to run their systems without manual intervention (say for a whole trading week)

(I'm not particularly interested in the reasons people may have failed such as bugs/bad design etc - I just want to gauge the likelihood of success)

This would give a feel for how successful this platform is as a whole

So I ask everyone again...

dmford:

Hi Raider, yes I agree. I have been a programmer for 15+ years, and a trader for 2+. I've written successful trading strategies for EOD futures trading (which I have been running for 18 months).

However, my point is, how many people have managed to get MQL programs to that same point

i.e. they CAN and DO trust their MQL Experts to run their systems without manual intervention (say for a whole trading week)

(I'm not particularly interested in the reasons people may have failed such as bugs/bad design etc - I just want to gauge the likelihood of success)

This would give a feel for how successful this platform is as a whole

So I ask everyone again...

I have an EA that I applied to my charts and do not touch at all...it makes consistent profit and I just check in on it once a week or so.

Reason: