Need some help with coding...

Hello everyone! I've just started writing my simple EA yesterday and I've been bumping into two problems over and over.

1) When  I run the EA it doesn't finish with the testing and the completion bar just stands still until I stop the testing.

2) It completes the testing, but no positions are open, nor the called technical indicator values appear.

The journal also freezes at the "started for testing" message.

I am doing something wrong, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe there are some important stuff missing I don't know about. If anyone wants to help me (he just can't hold himself ) please PM me and we can talk. 

Post what you are doing right here.

Ok I didn't know it was permitted. 

double  Force, Force_prev, Stoch_m, Stoch_s, Lts, Balance, Bar_L, Bar_H, SL_B, TP_B, SL_S, TP_S;
bool  New_Bar=false;

// ----------------------------- START EA -------------------------------

int start()
{

Force=iForce(NULL,0,21,MODE_SMA, PRICE_CLOSE,0);                                       // Force of the 0 bar
Force_prev=iForce(NULL,0,21,MODE_SMA, PRICE_CLOSE,2);                               // Force of the 2 bar
Stoch_m=iStochastic(NULL,0,6,4,5,MODE_SMA,0,MODE_MAIN,0);                        // SO main line
Stoch_s=iStochastic(NULL,0,6,4,5,MODE_SMA,0,MODE_SIGNAL,0);                      // SO signal line

if (Criteria_Buy()==true)                                                                                 // User-defined function for...
  {                                                                                                                  // a long position
  RefreshRates();  
  OrderSend(Symbol(),OP_BUY,Lots(),Ask,10,0,0);                                              // Open buy with Lots() calculated...
  return;                                                                                                          // in another user-defined fincion
  }

if (Criteria_Sell()==true)                                                                                 // User-defined function for...
  {                                                                                                                   // a short position
  RefreshRates();  
  OrderSend(Symbol(),OP_SELL,Lots(),Bid,10,0,0);                                              // Open sell with Lots() calculated...
  return;                                                                                                          // in another user-defined fincion
  }

static datetime New_Time=0;                                                                           // Using it to search for a new bar
  New_Bar=false;                                                                                              // No new bar
  if (New_Time!=Time[0])                                                                                  // Comparing time...  
  {
  New_Time=Time[0];  
  New_Bar=true;                                                                                                // A new bar is formed...
  }                                                                                                                     // which becomes the 0 one

Bar_L=iLow(Symbol(),PERIOD_H1,1);                                                                 // Get the low of the previous bar
  Bar_H=iHigh(Symbol(),PERIOD_H1,1);                                                                // Get the high of the previous bar

if (New_Bar==true && (OrderSelect(OrderTicket(),SELECT_BY_TICKET)==true))  
  {                                                                                                                      // When a new bar is formed...
  if (OrderType()==0) Modify_Buy();                                                                     // modifying the order with...
  if (OrderType()==1) Modify_Sell();                                                                     // calculated ST and TP levels
  return;                                                                                                             // in two separate user-defined functions
  }
return;                                                                                                                // Exiting start()
}

I would be really grateful if you caould tell me a good code, to insert here so that the EA doesn't let more than one position to be opened. Thanks!

I would be really grateful if you caould tell me a good code, to insert here so that the EA doesn't let more than one position to be opened. Thanks!

if (Criteria_Buy()==true && OrdersTotal() == 0)

same for sell.

Yes, thanks! It seems the indicators are now appearing and it managed to open a position. Although there are two things not right:

1) When it opens and order "OrderSend(Symbol(),OP_SELL,Lots(),Bid,10,0,0);" the Lots() user-defined function always gets the minimum 0.01 lots. Here is the code of Lots():

double Lots ()
{
 RefreshRates();  
 Balance=AccountBalance();  
 Lts=NormalizeDouble(MathRound((Balance*0.07)/1000),2); 
  if (Lts > 0.01)
  return(Lts);
  else Lts=0.01;
 return(Lts);
}  

Where am I wrong?

2) The last part of the code when it has to detect a new bar, get the low and high of the previous one and modify the position just opened with the calculated SL and TP in te corresponding Modify_Buy() and Modify_Sell() user-defined functions. This one doesn't seem to be exacuted and the EA just opens a posotion at the first signal it finds and then keeps it till the end of the testing. Any ideas?

Here's a money management function I use that calcs lot size.

Stick it in your includes folder & andadd:

#include <JA_Money_Management.mq4>
>

at the top of your code.

This is the function:

double calcPositionSize(double amountToRisk, int pipRange, string currentSymbol, string myCurrency)

use it like:

double lotSize =  calcPositionSize(AccountEquity() * .02, 120, "EURUSD", "USD", int item);

Here's a few good sites on that:

http://www.akmos.com/forex/pips/

http://thismatter.com/money/forex/leverage-margin-pips.htm

Files:

oops, supposed to be:

double lotSize =  calcPositionSize(AccountEquity() * .02, 120, "EURUSD", "USD");

As far as the order modify issue, on thing I see off the bat is this line:

if (New_Bar==true && (OrderSelect(OrderTicket(),SELECT_BY_TICKET)==true))

you need to know the ticket number or order position 1st before using OrderSelect().

This is one way I do it:

int currentOrder = getCurrentOrder();

int getCurrentOrder()
{
   int c;

for(c=0; c<OrdersTotal(); c++){
      OrderSelect(c,SELECT_BY_POS);

if(Symbol() == OrderSymbol()) return(c);
   }

return(-1);
}

Reason: