How can I check that an EA is working correctly?

I have added EA's to various active charts but so far have not seen any trades generated ... I can only see the smily face in the top right corner. What should I be looking for to check that the EA is actually working and able to trade?

I have also tried to use the Strategy Test Function for a few EA's and seen the data run past the window but no results were produced.

Here again, what do I have to check for that things are setup correctly for the tests to produce their results?

Many thanks for any help in this regard.

PS: I just found out that my version of MetaTrader was provided by CrownForex and their datafeed didn't permit the placing of ANY orders generated by EA's in either test mode or when attached to an active chart ... had to find out the solution to the problem the hard way!

opti wrote >>

I have added EA's to various active charts but so far have not seen any trades generated ... I can only see the smily face in the top right corner. What should I be looking for to check that the EA is actually working and able to trade?

I have also tried to use the Strategy Test Function for a few EA's and seen the data run past the window but no results were produced.

Here again, what do I have to check for that things are setup correctly for the tests to produce their results?

Many thanks for any help in this regard.

My suggestion is you start on Strategy Tester window with MACD sample, until you be more confortable about metatrader resources.

For example, you must see on Results and Graph window of Tester, all trades, and Report and Journal windows informations about de trades execution.

After that, you can test the MACD sample on active charts, to check your knlowledge.

If all this go well, you can start again from de Tester, but now with your EA.

good lucky!

Opti

Add print statements in your code like

Print("Got to line 12");

// ========================================

// ========================================

Print("Got to line 24");

Check the Journal tab for the Print results - and any Order Errors during testing or trading

Good luck

-BB-

BarrowBoy wrote

Opti, add print statements in your code ...

[ A very good suggestion - thanks! Should have remembered it from the time I learned to

program in PL1 ... :) ]

Check the Journal tab for the Print results - and any Order Errors during testing or trading

Good luck

-BB-

Thanks for both of your comments! The errors are mostly the following:

Testing the Trix_EA on M5 USD/CHF I receided no report and no graph, only a list of error messages like

1 - OrderSend error 131 and
2 - Error Occured: invalid trade volume

What's the best way to avoid these kinds of errors during a test? What should I do before starting a test run

so no errors come up?

Thanks again for your help.

1&2 refer to the same problem - you are sending an unusable value for lot size (aka volume) in the order...

With this error showing the EA wont test or trade

if your code looks something like this

ticket=OrderSend(Symbol(),OP_BUY,Lots,Ask,3,Ask-25*Point,Ask+25*Point,"My order #1",1234,0,Blue);

add a line before the OrderSend like...

Print("Optis crazy value for Lots is: ", Lots);

Then look in the Journal for what is actually being sent to the Order

Keep on trying :)

-BB-

BarrowBoy:

1&2 refer to the same problem - you are sending an unusable value for lot size (aka volume) in the order...

With this error showing the EA wont test or trade

if your code looks something like this

add a line before the OrderSend like...

Then look in the Journal for what is actually being sent to the Order

Keep on trying :)

-BB-

Thanks ever so much, Brian ... just the kind of help I was hoping for!

Are these your web sites here? http://www.selectfx.net & http://www.earnforex.com/

That's a very good blog! The tutorial on indicators, how to use and compile them, may be

a good place for adding a hint to the PRINT diagnostic you suggested here ... :)

Opti

www.selectfx.net is mine, any other site referenced is an unpaid link to a resource we use

One link due to be added is http://www.forextrendsystem.com

a whole system in 6 indicators - the best $100 you can spend in Forex :)

NB - FTS is not an EA but I will be building one on this set of indicators for release in Jan next year

And no, they dont pay me!

-BB-

Better declare I am an IB for MIG - cos I manage accounts there

-BB-

Reason: