how to know when an EA is corect

hello, guys im a newbies, i try to used EAS code from online liberry but when i test it this message will come up ;there were 1 passes done during optimization,1 results have been discarded as insignificant ' pls what deos it mean and how to correct them

JB

Welcome newby :)

This means that the EA as run (i.e on the combination of pair, timeframe, extern values you used) had one run set for it & that run did not produce a profit.

Perhaps you did not have a range of options set for it to test?

After ticking 'Optimization', press the 'Expert Properties' button and set a range of different values, e.g. StopLoss 60 in step of 10 to 100, etc

Notes

1) Some values are best set as permutations, eg Stop Loss & Trailing Stop, others are best tested one extern at a time, to avoid unneccessary permutations which can take a very long time to run

2) Until you get the EA into 'profit' you dont see any visible results, which means it is hard to judge when you are getting near but are not quite there :(

--

As a hint, the best EA's show some profit even when they are not optimised...

As another hint, try the Sample MACD EA on EURUSD on the H1 chart, that should get you some results to see & get used to playing with extern values

Good luck

-BB-

BarrowBoy wrote >>

JB

Welcome newby :)

This means that the EA as run (i.e on the combination of pair, timeframe, extern values you used) had one run set for it & that run did not produce a profit.

Perhaps you did not have a range of options set for it to test?

After ticking 'Optimization', press the 'Expert Properties' button and set a range of different values, e.g. StopLoss 60 in step of 10 to 100, etc

Notes

1) Some values are best set as permutations, eg Stop Loss & Trailing Stop, others are best tested one extern at a time, to avoid unneccessary permutations which can take a very long time to run

2) Until you get the EA into 'profit' you dont see any visible results, which means it is hard to judge when you are getting near but are not quite there :(

--

As a hint, the best EA's show some profit even when they are not optimised...

As another hint, try the Sample MACD EA on EURUSD on the H1 chart, that should get you some results to see & get used to playing with extern values

Good luck

-BB-

thanks for your help i have try the sample MACD on EURUsd on H1 chart and the following messages came out ; there were 0 passes done during optimization,1 result have been discarded as insignificant and the sample MACD stoped due test limit 'maximal drawdown%=70'reached .pls tell me what to do to correct into profit. thanks

JB

Read 'Testing of Expert Advisors in the MetaTrader 4 Client Terminal: An Outward Glance'

especially where it says

"To optimize a trading strategy, one has to take at least 2 steps. Check "Optimization" in the "Settings" tab and set up initial and final values and the change increment value for optimized parameters in the expert's properties in the "Inputs" tab"

-BB-

judeebene wrote >>

thanks for your help i have try the sample MACD on EURUsd on H1 chart and the following messages came out ; there were 0 passes done during optimization,1 result have been discarded as insignificant and the sample MACD stoped due test limit 'maximal drawdown%=70'reached .pls tell me what to do to correct into profit. thanks

I think the solution for you is this:

"The discarded results all showed a loss at the end of the test. To see the
discarded results open the optimization results tab, right click and make
sure the skip useless results in unchecked."

I had the very same problem and I have stolen the solution from here: :P

http://www.forexforums.org/99324-post2.html

Good luck!

Reason: