MT4 Freezing when selecting Indicator List or Object List. Help!

Over the last 2 years I have posted on a number of forums trying to discover why the platform freezes when selecting"Indicator List" or "Object List". I have not received any valid answers. There have been only a few kind suggestions from only a couple of others who have experienced this, but none that identifies or corrects the problem. It seems hard to believe that virtually nobody else who uses MT4 has experienced this. I have three computers with Win XP and at various times each of them goes through this Freezing stage (only two are networked one is a stand alone so I can observe the problem separately). All I know is that it is connected with MetaEditor and the adding and removing of indicators. I can't find a way to trouble shoot this.

I use three different brokers (Alpari, IBFX and FXDD) and it happens on ALL three, on different computers (for data feed verification, derivative trading and money diversification). It will be working fine for 4 to 6 weeks and then it will simply start freezing when I select Indicator List or Object List (or Ctl + I or Ctl + B or from the drop down menus).

What I end up doing is removing all my indicators to another folder, deleting MT4 and put the indicators back in. It will work fine for a while and then start freezing after about 4 weeks. This will occur at different times on each platform. There seems to be no pattern on any of the platforms with the various brokers. I have called the technical support departments at each of the brokers but they have never heard of this and the best advice they give is to post on the forums or delete and reinstall. Since I am working a lot with the code of the indicators, I am frequently adding, editing or taking away the indicators from the charts.

Is there anybody at Metaquotes or in the forum who has any suggestions or any experience as this has become very annoying. Any information to help solve this would be kindly appreciated. Thank You.

P - sorry to hear of your issue. I've been using MetaTrader since mql3 and never ever had issues like you describe.

Have you considered posting on the .ru forum?

Can also use google or babelfish or ... to xlat over to Russian - they would like that, your effort in doing translation, preface the xlat in English with synopsis of 'below'.

Ok, is long shot but can see this bothers you and maybe if been 2yrs, is not just because it keeps recurring ;o)

The Best to you

btw, should you happen to strike lucky - please consider informing on this thread, ok?

ukt:

P - sorry to hear of your issue. I've been using MetaTrader since mql3 and never ever had issues like you describe.

Have you considered posting on the .ru forum?

Can also use google or babelfish or ... to xlat over to Russian - they would like that, your effort in doing translation, preface the xlat in English with synopsis of 'below'.

Ok, is long shot but can see this bothers you and maybe if been 2yrs, is not just because it keeps recurring ;o)

The Best to you

btw, should you happen to strike lucky - please consider informing on this thread, ok?

Thanks for the response. I will take your suggestion and post on the Russian forum. Should I get any good answers I will definitely post them back here. Cheers and Good weekend.

I have the very same issue!! You've descripted it just as we're experiencing it.(Windows XP with IBFX broker.) I'm currently having the problem and will have to backup the indicators, re-install and add again.

It seems that MQL4 gets overloaded with indicators and objects - thus crashing after a while. I'm running several indicators(some self written) and a EA on several currency pairs. Since my latest crash I didn't add new indicators - only more objects. I've also notice that adding the same indicator to different time periods with different settings does not happen. The System excepts my "Ok" click for that indicator but it does not appear on the specific period nor is it in the Indicators List.

It's quite a laborsome fix - to remove, uninstall and re-install the software. Do you know of a safe(and accurate)way to back-up the charts with all the relevant objects & indicators and then only copy the files into the new installations folder which will then load the stuff automaticly?

I've saved the profile folders from the C: drive(C:\Program Files\Interbank FX Trader 4\profiles) to a new location and then copy them back after the clean installation. It seems to work but don't know if it's the correct way. The same is done for the EA's & indicators(C:\Program Files\Interbank FX Trader 4\experts\ & \indicators\)

Have you had any luck with the Russians?

pipsqueak4x:

Over the last 2 years I have posted on a number of forums trying to discover why the platform freezes when selecting"Indicator List" or "Object List". I have not received any valid answers. There have been only a few kind suggestions from only a couple of others who have experienced this, but none that identifies or corrects the problem. It seems hard to believe that virtually nobody else who uses MT4 has experienced this. I have three computers with Win XP and at various times each of them goes through this Freezing stage (only two are networked one is a stand alone so I can observe the problem separately). All I know is that it is connected with MetaEditor and the adding and removing of indicators. I can't find a way to trouble shoot this.

I use three different brokers (Alpari, IBFX and FXDD) and it happens on ALL three, on different computers (for data feed verification, derivative trading and money diversification). It will be working fine for 4 to 6 weeks and then it will simply start freezing when I select Indicator List or Object List (or Ctl + I or Ctl + B or from the drop down menus).

What I end up doing is removing all my indicators to another folder, deleting MT4 and put the indicators back in. It will work fine for a while and then start freezing after about 4 weeks. This will occur at different times on each platform. There seems to be no pattern on any of the platforms with the various brokers. I have called the technical support departments at each of the brokers but they have never heard of this and the best advice they give is to post on the forums or delete and reinstall. Since I am working a lot with the code of the indicators, I am frequently adding, editing or taking away the indicators from the charts.

Is there anybody at Metaquotes or in the forum who has any suggestions or any experience as this has become very annoying. Any information to help solve this would be kindly appreciated. Thank You.

SAME ISSUE HERE!.. Anyone find a cause/fix for this?... I can confirm that this happens... not only with different brokers... but Operating systems as well... It happened on WindowsXP (no surprise there)... But it just happened on Linux too. Now THAT'S a cause for concern. Fortunatelly, in Linux, we don't have issues such as "having to reboot" and "re-install". I'll post back if solution / cause is found.

I suspect list of objects (list of indicators) appears out of monitor's boundaries.

For example, you have second monitor. You move list of objects into the second monitor. List's position saved in the terminal.ini file. You turn off second monitor or swap monitors... Or terminal.ini file become corrupted.

Stop client terminal, remove terminal.ini, start client terminal.

stringo:

I suspect list of objects (list of indicators) appears out of monitor's boundaries.

For example, you have second monitor. You move list of objects into the second monitor. List's position saved in the terminal.ini file. You turn off second monitor or swap monitors... Or terminal.ini file become corrupted.

I haven't checked back in a while but I took the advice from Stringo and deleted the "terminal.ini" file from c:\program files\your broker like IBFX4\config folder and I restarted MT4. It solved the problem!! MT4 will automatically add another "terminal.ini" file when you restart and it finds that it has been removed. The last two years I have been copying my indicator folders and reinstalling MT4 because of this issue. Now if it happens again all I will need to do is delete the file and restart MT4.

Thanks stringo for the advice. It has been a very LARGE headache in the past. Cheers to you!!

stringo:

I was having the exact same issue... I was using two screens as well,this works like a champ

THANKS!

Duinduiker:I've saved the profile folders from the C: drive(C:\Program Files\Interbank FX Trader 4\profiles) to a new location and then copy them back after the clean installation. It seems to work but don't know if it's the correct way. The same is done for the EA's & indicators(C:\Program Files\Interbank FX Trader 4\experts\ & \indicators\)
Do NOT install in \program files* on Visa/Win7. Install elsewhere and them move your experts and indicators to the new location.

mugged:

I was having the exact same issue... I was using two screens as well,this works like a champ

THANKS!

Another option is to open terminal.ini (located in the config folder) in notepad and change the values of the affected list i.e indicator or objects that you are having trouble with. Simply scroll down and change them to 250 and that will reposition the window so that it will open on your monitor next time you start.

IndicatorsLeft=250

IndicatorsTop=250

IndicatorsRight=250

IndicatorsBottom=250

or the same with objects etc. Once it opens you can reposition it and that positions' values will be updated and saved in the terminal.ini file.

jazflyer:

Another option is to open terminal.ini (located in the config folder) in notepad and change the values of the affected list i.e indicator or objects that you are having trouble with. Simply scroll down and change them to 250 and that will reposition the window so that it will open on your monitor next time you start....

Thank you very much for solving this irritating problem for me!
Reason: