Applying Trading Robots: theory vs. practice?

To add comments, please log in or register
schnappi
schnappi  
Hello Community!

My question is: what's the difference between running an EA in a productive environment compared to a simulated environment such as the strategy tester?

I'm thinking of aspects like

- quality of modeled environments (data quality for instance)

- availability (hardware, power, internet connection, …)

- predictability of the profitability of an algorithm

- etc. ...

Since I'm quite new to automated trading in general, I'm just interested in your experiences!

Also I wanted to say, that I'm really surprised to find such a vivid and productive community here.

The MQL4-book is also a really great resource for beginners like me!

Thanks.
Jacob
Jacob  
schnappi:
Hello Community!

My question is: what's the difference between running an EA in a productive environment compared to a simulated environment such as the strategy tester?

I'm thinking of aspects like

- quality of modeled environments (data quality for instance)

- availability (hardware, power, internet connection, …)

- predictability of the profitability of an algorithm

- etc. ...

Since I'm quite new to automated trading in general, I'm just interested in your experiences!

Also I wanted to say, that I'm really surprised to find such a vivid and productive community here.

The MQL4-book is also a really great resource for beginners like me!

Thanks.

Productive vs. Simulated

The number one problem I've discovered is that when running a EA in a strategy tester- you will find issues of "Curve Fitting." What that means, is that the test shows good results for the past because the EA worked for the trend- but doesn't actually work period.

When making or using a good EA. Make sure it uses sound money management, takes sound risks, and above all else- uses sound discipline.

-Jacob

okwh
okwh  

most time, or till now, there is no any uniform mothods to evaluate all such things.

you can defined yourself

To add comments, please log in or register