Need help with strategy testing

Hello everyone:

I have a question about strategy testing! I'm not sure I have the right idea on how to use strategy testing on MT5.

I need an interface that lets me use all my EA's, indicators and scripts in MT5 and which allows me to test my *manual* strategy.

It seems when I use the strategy tester in MT5, I am forced to select an EA. However what I am looking for is an interface that allows me to use MT5 just as in a live environment, only using historic price data and which allows me to trade in the past, manually or otherwise, using the same visuals as if it were in real life.

Is there such a thing with MT5? It seems I cannot select EA's etc as I run my back testing...

Thanks
Duncan

Your topic has been moved to the section: Expert Advisors and Automated Trading
Please consider which section is most appropriate — https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/172166/page6#comment_49114893

dnc77: I have a question about strategy testing! I'm not sure I have the right idea on how to use strategy testing on MT5. I need an interface that lets me use all my EA's, indicators and scripts in MT5 and which allows me to test my *manual* strategy. It seems when I use the strategy tester in MT5, I am forced to select an EA. However what I am looking for is an interface that allows me to use MT5 just as in a live environment, only using historic price data and which allows me to trade in the past, manually or otherwise, using the same visuals as if it were in real life. Is there such a thing with MT5? It seems I cannot select EA's etc as I run my back testing...

The Strategy Tester is specifically designed for testing automated strategies via Expert Advisors (EAs), but it also allows testing Indicators in a similar fashion.

However, with the aid of a specially programmed utility EA, it is possible to test out manual trading.

There are a few EA Trading Panels/Assistants in the Market that are specifically for testing your manual trading in the Strategy Tester.

However, recommendations or suggestions for Market products are not allowed on the forum, so you will have to do your own research.

Search for Free products, in the "Utilities" section with the keywords "Strategy Tester".

MQL5 Market: Utilities
MQL5 Market: Utilities
  • www.mql5.com
A Market of Applications for the MetaTrader 5 and MetaTrader 4

Fernando Carreiro #:

The Strategy Tester is specifically designed for testing automated strategies via Expert Advisors (EAs), but it also allows testing Indicators in a similar fashion.

However, with the aid of a specially programmed utility EA, it is possible to test out manual trading.

There are a few EA Trading Panels/Assistants in the Market that are specifically for testing your manual trading in the Strategy Tester.

However, recommendations or suggestions for Market products are not allowed on the forum, so you will have to do your own research.

Search for Free products, in the "Utilities" section with the keywords "Strategy Tester".

Hi Fernando,

Thanks a lot for taking time to provide your help and also for sharing this.

This does partly provide some insight to my questions however I may need to reiterate here a few things. What I perceive to be a good strategy tester is one that lets you run the platform as if it's on a live environment.

Meaning; I can change any EA's add objects to the chart etc., all while testing my strategies. This apparently cannot be done; unless I'm missing something.

I have my own EA I would like to test but the issue of the matter is that I need to add HLINES to my chart before running the EA. I want to be able to kick off/stop/etc... the EA whenever I want during the session.

It seems, the strategy tester is not designed like that and therefore not letting me do that. As soon as the strategy tester kicks off, it won't let me add my HLINES and it automatically initializes my EA. As such, it's not the same as the real experience but maybe I am missing something.

I invested in Forex Tester with the hope that I will have that but even this did not work as this application does not import MT5 code well. Even if it did, I am not privy to sharing some aspects of my work.

Maybe I am taking the wrong approach however is there a way to achieve what I am trying to achieve. Do you know of another approach that can be used. I'm sure someone else would have encountered the same problem so I wonder if there are different approaches to this otherwise.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Regards,

Duncan

Reason: