Vb.NET

Can someone tell me definitively if VB.NET can be used to write DLLs for MetaTrader?

If so can someone post an example construct of a VB.NET class as MetaTrader would need it to be.

Thanks

Don't know, I use C++

phy:
Don't know, I use C++

Would you be interested in writing a C++ wrapper to call a VB.NET program? It would only have to have the minimum code needed to call the VB class. I want to read setting from an Access database in the VB portion of the code but I cannot seem to get MetaTrader to call the funtions within. I get the following error message:

cannot call function 'OpenDb' from dll 'readsetfile.dll' (error 127)

If you write a generic wrapper, I can manage the rest.

You would just have to document your C++ code so that I can add references in it as it relates to the main VB.NET module.

(As I to the VB.NET module, I may have to add some hook to the C++ wrapper - just guessing here).

Interested?
Thanks

There is a sample C-DLL in your experts/samples

MT4 DLL basics are not difficult.

Use standard calls

Use DEF file

If you don't have C compiler you can use VisualStudio Express (free)

phy:

There is a sample C-DLL in your experts/samples

MT4 DLL basics are not difficult.

Use standard calls

Use DEF file

If you don't have C compiler you can use VisualStudio Express (free)

I know but I do not know C so just one mistake and I will be spinning my wheels looking for a bug for days. I am a VB6 programming migrating to .NET so I can get by with VB.NET but I just need a C++ wrapper to get be by the tough times. Any way you could help with this generic wrapper. It would just have to call one of my VB.NET functions and I could learn how to modify it to call other functions.

I have no idea what would constitute a "generic C++ wrapper".

I last used BASIC in 1981.

Check new and robust solution http://www.mttrade.net

C# coding in mql4 script

wadem000:

Can someone tell me definitively if VB.NET can be used to write DLLs for MetaTrader?

Not definitive, but I think the answer is no. I'm not aware that Visual Studio lets you create common-or-garden Win32 DLLs using either VB.NET or C#. You can create COM-compatible class libraries, but not the sort of Win32 DLLs which can be used from MT4. AFAIK. Could be wrong.

wadem000:
[...] a C++ wrapper [...]

Life might not be quite this simple.

It's probably possible to do a C++ wrapper to a COM-compatible .NET class library in a few lines of code. But there may be a problem here. COM instantiation isn't lightning-fast, and nor is the COM-to-.NET bridge. And then you're opening a database, querying it, and closing it. And then releasing the COM object. All in a single call from the EA. Depending on the context, you may find that this is unacceptably slow in a real-life trading system. You might need a more complex wrapper which maintains state in memory between calls from the EA.

Reason: