Multiple platforms served by common files, such as the experts folder.

I have several MT4 client platform setups, but each requires its own experts, templates, indicator folders. I add many files to the preceeding, but it is a real pain to have multiple folders, each of which must be updated individually.

Is it possible to have a common single folder for these, with a pointer in the various platform setups, such that I need to only keep one maintained as changes or additions occur?

Charles Wilkes

cfw123:

I have several MT4 client platform setups, but each requires its own experts, templates, indicator folders. I add many files to the preceeding, but it is a real pain to have multiple folders, each of which must be updated individually.

Is it possible to have a common single folder for these, with a pointer in the various platform setups, such that I need to only keep one maintained as changes or additions occur?

Charles Wilkes

Only by external Dll. Either you write your own dll, or you can use WinAPI's functions directly in some cases. (Most file functions work okay directly)
My first thought was to write a short function to copy the necessary files into their place. This will rise some issues with EAs, but you can experiment with it.

On UNIX world it would be easy.

But Windows doesn't offer symbolic link I think.. otherwise you would have mounted your //server/experts/ to your c:/program files/mt4/experts/ on each of your workstation.

You could still mount that remote directory to a virtual drive, but then MT4 would need to know to use experts there.

At least you could write a batch file for retrieving the remote experts directory to every workstation.

And placing a scheduled task to run that batch file every hour. Or 5 minuts..

I've been tell that ln.exe exists on Windows ntfs.. Check the doc, it's the key.

hard links:

Try http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/fsutil_hardlink. mspx?mfr=true

Fsutil: hardlink

A hard link is a directory entry for a file. Every file can be considered to have at least one hard link. On NTFS volumes, each file can have multiple hard links, and thus a single file can appear in many directories (or even in the same directory with different names). Because all of the links reference the same file, programs can open any of the links and modify the file. A file is deleted from the file system only after all links to it have been deleted. After you create a hard link, programs can use it like any other file name.

phy, thank You for your support

I'm rapt. really

Hello Stringo...

Sometimes old dog knows new tricks...

Do you have a preview of MT5 yet?

---

Here is a link to XP junctions:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/Junction.mspx

I think junctions will link directories, hard links link files only

---

There are also several tools that integrate with windows GUI if you search...

Reason: