Jumpstart to Expert

Good Day,
I have been trying to find a program capable of supporting what I need, I finally found it but I'm not sure about the Syntax required to get this to work or if it is at all possible.
What I'm trying to do is make an Expert that graphs what it's "Thinking" or more correctly graphs the indicators it's reading off of. I have tried to splice-in indicator code from the indicators I require, like I have done with other languages, but I don't think it works quite that way. So, how would I go about graphing the Stochastic indicator in an Expert?

Also, how can I access the value being output by the graph in realtime?

Thank you for your Help.

This sounds like a question I was asking myself a few weeks ago. Now that I've found iCustom, I think it answers this sort of question. If you have the indicator, you can let the EA use that indicator (any indicator) to trade with by accessing it with the iCustom(). Then, you can see it without having the EA do indicator stuff.

Unless I misunderstood the question?

-Matt

I have looked into iCustom before, I believe it might have been one of your posts that I found out about it. I notice that I can only view what it was graphing in testing mode, but the settings I apply don't seem to translate to the setup on the graph. Also, how can I get access the value of the indicators om realtime?

Thanks,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I haven't used it yet, so I'm strictly going on the MT4 documentation and the iCustom article here. It's my understanding that if you know the design of the indicator being referenced, and the order of the values declared within it, then the iCustom can call those values in real time for an EA's decisions. So far, though, I've re-built the indicator my own way and used it within the EA, I haven't yet used iCustom, but I expect I will as it seems it would save time.

One thing you might do is just write a test EA. Just have it call iCustom's various values for a particular custom indicator of interest , and have it dump those values out to the Journal with a print command, or have it call the object functions to draw an arrow and text on the chart with the values so you can verify what value is getting returned for what call, and it should line up with the graphic indicator on the chart live. I might end up doing that to build confidence it's returning what I expect it to. That would also be a way to figure out a custom indicator if you don't have access to the .mq4 to read the design.

Good luck! --Matt

Good day Matt,

I think you might find using iCustom will save alot of time and hassle. The project I'm working on, since yesterday I managed to get about 50% done just by accessing the indicators. The Expert I'm building uses about 6 indicators to calculate on. I did find that the iCustom is kinda trial and error to get to work the way you want, infact I'm still workin on gettin it the way I need it. I'm havin trouble getting the value from the Bands that I need but I do have all the info stored in variables that update in real time. Once I get the info I need I figure working on the trading logic should be a peice of cake. I say that now...

Thanks for the help,
Andrew
Reason: