MetaCOT 2 Williams Commercial Index COT MT4
MetaCOT 2 is a set of indicators and specialized utilities for the analysis of the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission reports. Thanks to the reports issued by the Commission, it is possible to analyze the size and direction of the positions of the major market participants, which brings the long-term price prediction accuracy to a new higher-quality level, inaccessible to most traders.
These indicators, related to the fundamental analysis, can also be used as an effective long-term filter when entering a medium-term position. For this, they should be combined with a classic price analysis.
Williams Commercial Index (Willco) developed by Larry Williams is the most advanced version of the standard COT Index. Unlike the latter, Willco compares extreme values of participant groups to cumulative open interest. Thus, Willco is a standard COT Index weighted relative to the entire market. Like the latter, it is an oscillator and changes its value from zero to one hundred percent. The values of the indicator from 0% to 20% and from 80% to 100% point at the moments of the extreme overbought and oversold state market, signaling the frequent reversal of the price after reaching these levels. The data on net positions of traders is used as the basis of the calculation (see the MetaCOT 2 Netto Positions indicator).
Find out more details on the usage methods of this indicator in the book by Larry Williams: Trade Stocks and Commodities with the Insiders: Secrets of the COT Report", and also in the article Meta COT Project - New Horizons for CFTC Report Analysis in MetaTrader 4.
Below are the indicator parameters and their description:
- Source of Report - COT report type. There are two types of report: 'Futures Only' and 'Futures And Options';
- Group of Traders - Group of COT report participants. Includes the groups listed above;
- Release Day - set the day to refresh the indicator. At the default value, 'Release by Friday', the indicator updates its values on Friday (day of data release). At the value 'Release by Thuesday' - on Tuesday (day of data receipt).
- DataType - select data to plot the indicator. At the default value, 'Contracts of Traders', the indicator calculates its values based on the number of contracts, at the value 'Number of Traders' - based on the number of traders.
- Subgroup of Traders - Subgroup of the participants. Divided into All, Old and Other;
- Period of COT Index - period of COT Index calculation. Recommended values: 25, 52 and 156 weeks;
- Auto Detect Report Name - if true, the indicator automatically downloads the report, corresponding to the market symbol it is running on. If no report corresponding to the current symbol could be identified, then the default report is downloaded, that is specified in the Report Name parameter;
- Report Name - name of the report to download if the Auto Detect Report Name parameter is set to false. The name of one of the MetaCOT database files without its extension must be specified as the report name;
- Mirror Mode - mirror mode of the indicator. If true, the indicator maximums become minimums, and minimums become maximums.
This indicator must be combined with the other indicators of the MetaCOT series, in that case, a higher degree of accuracy in conducting fundamental and technical market analysis is achieved.
The indicator operation requires the CFTC reports to be downloaded and installed on your computer, which can be done with a special report installation utility MetaCOT 2 Install CFTC Reports MT4.
More details on the description of the indicator settings can be found in the blog "MetaCOT 2: Settings and Possibility".
- Starting from this version, a new utility for downloading reports is available - MetaCOT Data Provider.
This utility work as Win32 system tray application and download CFTC reports in background mode. If you
use this utility you can make auto update reports from MetaCOT indicators and don't use 'MetaCOT Install CFTC
- 'MetaCOT CFTC Install Reports' tool was upgraded. Now, it contains the new help system. Its general window also was
changed. Now, this window contains information about the status of the connection, a status of the database
(outdated or not) and status of MetaCOT Data Provider Win32 until (install or not).
If this util available 'MetaCOT CFTC Install Reports'
load local files and parse it.
- MetaCOT indicators and Toolbox Library began to contain inner COT data for the most basic symbols. This data can
use if MetaCOT wasn't installed. This option is useful in the strategy tester if the installation was not performed.
- All indicators began to contain the system of update data (mini tool based on 'MetaCOT CFTC Install Reports').
If you use MetaCOT Data Provider utility, you can update reports automatically and don't use 'MetaCOT Install CFTC
Reports'. For this case, you need switch on new parameter 'AutoUpdate' in position true.
- Added parameter 'Not Show Continues Data'. If this flag is enabled - last unknowing values are empty. Otherwise
last unknowing values continue.
- Added control for bad combination parameter. If you select nonreportable group of trades and also select Data Type
as 'Number of Traders' you will see message 'Incorrect combination of parameters'.
- Removed parameter 'Data Type' for Largest COT indicators group. This parameter not effect for largest traders.
- Fixed a bug in strategy tester. When any indicators were started in strategy tester it's valued was intermittent.
- Fixed a bug that caused an error 'invalid pointer access' in some cases
- Now all MetaCOT indicators and ToolBox Library contain additional GUI forms and MessageBox for more user friendly.
The work of indicators has become clearer.
- Internal fixes related to the releases of new versions of MetaTrader and MQL. MetaCOT now fully complies with the new language standard.
- Fixed the error that caused the data to be redownloaded, even if the data have been downloaded earlier. This error caused a significant slowdown of the indicator operation in the strategy tester and loaded the computer hard drive.
- Now, all indicators are compiled from the source codes of MetaCOT ToolBox. A common code base prevents errors in individual indicators and further synchronizes the code management.
- Fixed internal array initialization. In previous versions, this sometimes caused errors hiding the indicators from a chart.
- Now, oscillators automatically scale within -10 to +110%. This helps to set up more correct view of the indicators right at the first start of the indicator since the lines do not cross the top and bottom window borders.
- Switched to classic display of the indicator levels. Now, it is possible to place them at arbitrary levels, as well as change their colors and line types.
- Added new parameter: 'Release Day'. It takes two values: 'Release by Tuesday' - new values of the indicator appear every Tuesday, and 'Release by Friday' (default value), - new values of the indicator appear ever Friday.
- Added new parameter: 'Data Type'. It allows to select the data source. At the value 'Contracts of Traders' the indicator downloads the information on the number of traders' contracts. At the value 'Number of Traders' the indicator downloads the information on the number of traders holding the corresponding position.
- Added an error message, displayed in the indicator window, if the data with the CFTC reports were not found or if 'MetaCOT CFTC Install Reports' is not installed.
- Fixed the indicator crash, which occurred when attempting to download a non-existing report.
- Now, the levels of threshold values of indicator can be modified in the "Levels" tab of the setting window.
- Fixed the indicator error that caused netto position to be displayed instead of the Williams Commercial Index.