The Strategy Tester didn't throw any error message as Windows ran out of hard drive space.

Hi there!, 

My name is Jordi, I am new to Metatrader, and very happy to be a little part of this great community. I am a Spanish software developer who hopes soon to create many interesting FOREX robots with the help of this awesome forum.

Well, the fact is that I've noticed that when testing some EA on a given symbol, the terminal always downloads the history of that symbol and stores the corresponding hcc files in the hard drive. I wonder if this behavior is normal. Could this be optimized in some way?

I run an EA on many different symbols and I realized that this operation consumed a huge amount of memory in my hard disk! Specifically, I work with Windows 7 running on a VirtualBox machine. The Strategy Tester didn't throw any error message as Windows ran out of hard drive space.

Thanks in advance for your help 

The strategy tester downloads price history only once (for each trade server/broker you connect to). Every time you start testing anything it just synchronizes (downloads) only missing/new data.

Alexx:
The strategy tester downloads price history only once (for each trade server/broker you connect to). Every time you start testing anything it just synchronizes (downloads) only missing/new data.
Thank you so much. The thing is that I had few space on my hard disk and the terminal couldn't visualize the strategy. The terminal said nothing like this "Be careful because the files I am downloading are very very heavy in Mb!". So I finally free up some space and everything was ok.

laplacianlab:
Thank you so much. The thing is that I had few space on my hard disk and the terminal couldn't visualize the strategy. The terminal said nothing like this "Be careful because the files I am downloading are very very heavy in Mb!". So I finally free up some space and everything was ok.

I downloaded a lot of big files from internet (usenet mostly), and my PC doesn't tell me that I'm about running out space ;D.

How big is your MT occupy your space ? It's possible to install MT in external memory storage, but I don't know if that can be done in VirtualBox :( 

phi.nuts:

I downloaded a lot of big files from internet (usenet mostly), and my PC doesn't tell me that I'm about running out space ;D.

How big is your MT occupy your space ? It's possible to install MT in external memory storage, but I don't know if that can be done in VirtualBox :( 

Yes, that is the question. Windows runs out of disk space and MT5 does not warn. In my case, it simply didn't respond to the "visualization" option. I'm not in my VirtualBox right now, I mean, I speak from memory, but I think that each history donwload takes about 40 or 70 Mbs. After those downloads, I think my MT5 takes about 500 Mbs. If you have a confused day may not understand why the Strategy Tester does not work. And it is because Windows is running out of disk space! I miss a user friendly message ;-)
Reason: