how to avoid log file during backtest optimization?

hi guys

i'm a long term mt4 backtester from 2009 year (check siolibros.net if interested)

i only use 99% quality backtest with tick data precision, using the well know dukascopy source (throught tickstory) 

to speed up multiple backtest on a single pc, i strongly suggest to use a ramdisk tool (like diskmaster free, for example)

it will let you to run multiple instance of mt4 backtester without the bottleneck of the hard disk speed, even if SSD

it's a trick for professional users that i discovered after several years of tests... i hope anyone will appreciate it ;-))

it's really like adding a turbo to an old car 

now my question:

during optimization of my personal EA on mt4, a very large log file will be created (over 2GB size, due to high number of trades)

i'm using actually a computer with interl core i7 and 16gb ram

i usually use a 12gb ramdisk 

but when i run 5 or 6 mt4 backtest optimization, each mt4 will create log files bigger than 2GB...

i absolutely need to find a way to disable log file creation (that ones in /tester/log folder) 

my EA code does not write any PRINT or ALERT row in the log

the log files are full of trades description (open and close) 

see the TXT attached file. just imagine a log file of 2GB full of that rows...

i need to disable that kind of log creation

can anyone help me? thanks 

PAOLO 

Files:

You might try to start mt4 by a script or from the command line (e.g.):

start /wait terminal.exe EURJPY.txt

(from here).

Use this to try to send everything into nothing like:

start /wait terminal.exe EURJPY.txt >nul 2>nul

>nul means skip the normal output 2>nul means skip the error messages.

google for: mt4 start command-line optimization backtest

Neither that I tried it nor did I found it anywhere - so you may try it and if you can let us know whether it works or not.

Automatic expert advisor testing (josef melichar) - MQL4 forum - Page 3
  • www.mql5.com

Carl Schreiber:

You might try to start mt4 by a script or from the command line (e.g.):

(from here).

Use this to try to send everything into nothing like:

>nul means skip the normal output 2>nul means skip the error messages.

google for: mt4 start command-line optimization backtest

Neither that I tried it nor did I found it anywhere - so you may try it and if you can let us know whether it works or not.

thanks Carl

i read all "configuration at startup" guide of mt4 help

really interesting. thanks

but i've found no words about the TESTER LOG FILE (how to disable it) 

i've read all major link about the google results, without success

any suggest? 

SioliBros:

thanks Carl

i read all "configuration at startup" guide of mt4 help

really interesting. thanks

but i've found no words about the TESTER LOG FILE (how to disable it) 

i've read all major link about the google results, without success

any suggest? 

I think as there are outputs to the tester's tab that they are automatically piped to their log files - and there seems to be no option to stop this maybe except the way I mentioned:" >nul 2>nul".

Just try it: open a command window: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe

move to the mt4 folder: "cd C:\...\"

and try "start /wait terminal.exe EURJPY.txt >nul 2>nul"

EURJPY.txt is the script that should contain what you have to enter as input variables - I don't know anything about its format - googl probably knows more!

Carl Schreiber:

I think as there are outputs to the tester's tab that they are automatically piped to their log files - and there seems to be no option to stop this maybe except the way I mentioned:" >nul 2>nul".

Just try it: open a command window: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe

move to the mt4 folder: "cd C:\...\"

and try "start /wait terminal.exe EURJPY.txt >nul 2>nul"

EURJPY.txt is the script that should contain what you have to enter as input variables - I don't know anything about its format - googl probably knows more!

hi guys

thanks for replies

i tried several combinations, without success 

i solved, in a different way

i used LOCKHUNTER software to DELETE the tester/logs folder after starting optimization

in that way, after deleting the locked folder, i've noticed the mt4 will no recreate it, mantaining a unchanged the total size of the mt4 folder

yeah!!! i hope this solutions could help a lot of backtester like me, because i found several forums thread about

thanks for all 

SioliBros #:

i solved, in a different way

i used LOCKHUNTER software to DELETE the tester/logs folder after starting optimization

in that way, after deleting the locked folder, i've noticed the mt4 will no recreate it, mantaining a unchanged the total size of the mt4 folder

yeah!!! i hope this solutions could help a lot of backtester like me, because i found several forums thread about

Yes, Thank You for the program !

Reason: