Should i move from MQL4 to MQL5 ?

Hello Everybody,

At the last few months i am experiencing a lot of problems with my MQL4 codes, EAs and indicators, each time metaqoutes releases an update.

The first time i post a comment in the forum and in the help desk but it didn't help at all, so the second time i didn't make the effort.

Now , which the problems became too many, i am considering to move to MQL5 as a solution but... is it?

Can anyone, who has made the transition from 4 to 5, advise me?

I am thinking if it's worth the trouble to rewrite the codes, but mainly, does MQL5 have less bugs than 4?

Thanks in advance.

Konstantinos Maleas

Individual trader.

It's not a good reason to move to mql5.

Don't avoid the problem, solve it.

Alain Verleyen:

Thanks for your response Alain Verleyen.

Some of them cannot be solved.

For example the fact that the iMAOnArrray function isn't working any more and two of my main indicators cannot be recompiled, is a thing that cannot be solved.

So i come to point that if i have to rewrite the indicators, should i consider to write them in MQL5?

Or is the same thing from the bug point of view?

maleas_k:

Thanks for your response Alain Verleyen.

Some of them cannot be solved.

For example the fact that the iMAOnArrray function isn't working any more and two of my main indicators cannot be recompiled, is a thing that cannot be solved.

Yes it can. iMAOnArray() is obsolete and ineffective, replace it with calls to functions from MovingAverages.mqh library (standard with MT4, provided in Include folder).

So i come to point that if i have to rewrite the indicators, should i consider to write them in MQL5?

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Should i move from MQL4 to MQL5 ?

Alain Verleyen, 2015.12.03 21:29

Or is the same thing from the bug point of view?

You can always have bugs in MT4 and MT5 as in any software.

Alain Verleyen:
Yes it can. iMAOnArray() is obsolete and ineffective, replace it with calls to functions from MovingAverages.mqh library (standard with MT4, provided in Include folder).

You can always have bugs in MT4 and MT5 as in any software.

Thanks again for your response Alain.

I'll try it and let you know the results.

I moved from MT4 to MT5, and then back to MT4.

The reason for this is simply the differences between ordering processes.

Since i take on a lot of (multi symbol) hedge positions, it is a little bit easier to keep track of all tickets in MT4.

There is no much difference between MQL4 and MQL5.

Francis Dogbe:
There is no much difference between MQL4 and MQL5.
I think, MQL5 is only increase the burden of the usage of computer memory

Alain Verleyen:

Hello. Will MT4 platform be discontinued?

I noticed that many brokers are already working with MT5 platform. I'm thinking about developping my next EA's over MT5 platform as the number of users is growing up. We should have access to sales statistcs comparing MT4 and MT5.

Andre Tavares:
Hello. Will MT4 platform be discontinued?

I noticed that many brokers are already working with MT5 platform. I'm thinking about developping my next EA's over MT5 platform as the number of users is growing up. We should have access to sales statistcs comparing MT4 and MT5.
Write your code to be compatible with both MQL4 and MQL5

Totally agree with @honest_knave! Code it using common elements for both MQL4 and MQL5 and where that is not possible, use conditional compilation (#ifdef __MQL4__ or #ifdef __MQL5__) to separate the differences.

This is what I have been doing for a while for my own projects, which allows me to have my Indicators and EA's available on both systems.

However, as @Alain Verleyen pointed out, first you have to fix your bugs, which is the primary cause of your problem.
Reason: