Which operating system is the fastest for Metatrader 5 in the cloud?

Hi,

I'd like to run Metatrader 5 in the cloud and am investigating operating systems to use:

I'm looking for something that is fast.

Things I've looked at

1. My laptop: i7, 16Gb RAM
    Runs lots of windows concurrently with an EA on each quite happily.
  2. Amazon AWS free tier: Windows Server 2012
    This is very slow. I can't run my EA on more than 2 charts without it maxing out
  3. Metaquotes VPS
    How fast is this compared to point 2? I tried it and had some issues so moved onto Amazon AWS
  4. Amazon AWS free tier: Ubuntu
    How fast is this compared to point 2?

gr101:

Hi,

I'd like to run Metatrader 5 in the cloud and am investigating operating systems to use:

I'm looking for something that is fast.

Things I've looked at

1. Amazon AWS free tier: Windows Server 2012
    This is very slow. I can't run my EA on more than 2 charts without it maxing out

This should not be slow.

Ive run some of these extremely fast (234 charts) so you problem might be your provider.

Make sure you ahve enough Ram, and SSD, Processors and etc.

Something fast and something free don't go well together.

Marco vd Heijden:

This should not be slow.

Ive run some of these extremely fast (234 charts) so you problem might be your provider.

Make sure you ahve enough Ram, and SSD, Processors and etc.

Something fast and something free don't go well together.

yup.. the provider I'm using is AWS's free tier with Windows Server 2012 (which needs about 1Gb RAM just to run). The AWS machine specs are: 1Gb RAM and I think one 2.5 Ghz processor. So it's very slow.

Hence me wanting to use Ubuntu on (hopefully) the same specc'ed machine.. is it work the effort? How much better are other options (i.e. MetaQuotes VPS, Ubuntu on AWS, etc. )

Exploring options here.

It depends on what you want to do with it.

I want to run EA's on multiple charts.

then keep your local machine or find a decent vps.

you really think changing os on a crap machine will do any good?

i already told you it's not the os it is the hardware.

Thanks, what do you think of MetaQuotes VPS?

You could try VoidLinux, it has a very small footprint.

But the issue of slow hardware will stay. One core or processor thread is simply not enough.

Really it is not. You should at least have 2 cores or threads.

gr101:

forget about the aws free teir. it is fast, but the vps can be disconnected anytime without warning. This could break your mt4 and eas, and break the tps and sl system. Has happened to me at least hand full of times. The other options are good. if they slow, it is because of your connection to internet. mt4 vps is good. Ubuntu and Linux are unreliable for mt4/5. each version of linux has a different set of issues and/or different setup procedure. Unless you are a linux pro, and have pre used that same version of linux/ubuntu with mt4, then, do not even consider using it with mt4/5. not worth the effort. Modern mt4/5 are not 100% compatable with w 2012 anymore, many issues. Only use w10. W11 is still brand new. dont trust it yet. w8.1 works too, but might not work in near future. Your laptop will work great, but you will have to have it running all trading week. But do not use wifi or mobile internet. These can trip up mt4 and break your mt4/5 profile, and/or your eas and trades. If you want to backtest, then more cores and more processors are needed, but if only trading eas, 2 processors/cores will be fine.

Revo Trades #:

forget about the aws free teir. it is fast, but the vps can be disconnected anytime without warning. This could break your mt4 and eas, and break the tps and sl system. Has happened to me at least hand full of times. The other options are good. if they slow, it is because of your connection to internet. mt4 vps is good. Ubuntu and Linux are unreliable for mt4/5. each version of linux has a different set of issues and/or different setup procedure. Unless you are a linux pro, and have pre used that same version of linux/ubuntu with mt4, then, do not even consider using it with mt4/5. not worth the effort. Modern mt4/5 are not 100% compatable with w 2012 anymore, many issues. Only use w10. W11 is still brand new. dont trust it yet. w8.1 works too, but might not work in near future. Your laptop will work great, but you will have to have it running all trading week. But do not use wifi or mobile internet. These can trip up mt4 and break your mt4/5 profile, and/or your eas and trades. If you want to backtest, then more cores and more processors are needed, but if only trading eas, 2 processors/cores will be fine.

I was able to get 5-8% higher PR with Linux Mint. But since wine supports only up to 64 cores, I got sort of shortchanged. :)

gr101 #: I want to run EA's on multiple charts.
  1. EAs : Don't do per tick what you can do per bar, or on open.
    If you are waiting for a level, don't reevaluate, wait until price reaches it (or a new bar starts, and you recalculate.)
    If you are waiting for an order to close, only look when OrdersTotal (or MT5 equivalent) has changed.
              How to get backtesting faster ? - MT4 - MQL4 programming forum (2017)

2. Indicators: Code it properly so it only recomputes bar zero (after the initial run.)
              How to do your lookbacks correctly. (2016)
    Or, reduce Tools → Options (control+O) → Charts → Max bars in chart to something reasonable (like 1K.)

Reason: