Download MetaTrader 5

Window position - Profile feature is broken.

To add comments, please log in or register
Dean
Dean  

I usually have several charts open, typically two charts for each currency pair (just the primaries, not the crosses for now).  I display two charts of the same currency side-by-side, one weekly and one daily, or one 4 hour and one 1 hour, etc.  All of the other charts are minimized.  The problem is that when I close MT5 and reopen it, all the windows are now displayed, in small windows, instead of remembering which two windows I had displayed and which others (all the rest) that I had minimized.  So I have to go through and arrange all of these windows all the time.  It's a pain.  it would be nice for it to remember my desktop/workspace.  I have tried setting it all up the way I want and saving it as a profile, but it doesn't work.  Close MT5, reopen, all the windows (12 of them) are displayed, tiny, in a grid.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit. 

Jerry Spence
Jerry Spence  
code.mafia posted  :

I usually have several charts open, typically two charts for each currency pair (just the primaries, not the crosses for now).  I display two charts of the same currency side-by-side, one weekly and one daily, or one 4 hour and one 1 hour, etc.  All of the other charts are minimized.  The problem is that when I close MT5 and reopen it, all the windows are now displayed, in small windows, instead of remembering which two windows I had displayed and which others (all the rest) that I had minimized.  So I have to go through and arrange all of these windows all the time.  It's a pain.  it would be nice for it to remember my desktop/workspace.  I have tried setting it all up the way I want and saving it as a profile, but it doesn't work.  Close MT5, reopen, all the windows (12 of them) are displayed, tiny, in a grid.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit. 

Yes, I get the same sort of thing. I think this is another Win7 issue (there are several reported so far). It's fine on XP. I think it may be saving the profile in the program area (C:\Program Files\Metatrader 5...etc), but Win7's UAC is forcing it to read from your user area (C:\Users..... etc)

-Jerry

Dean
Dean  
What is the name of a profile file (extension)?
Dean
Dean  

Nevermind, I found it.  You may be partially correct.  There is a Profiles directory located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MetaTrader 5\Profiles

And my custom profile should be located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MetaTrader 5\Profiles\Charts\MyCustomProfileName

There is a folder there, but it has the generic 4 charts and  order.wnd file that all profiles in that location have.

But instead it's located here:

C:\Users\my.user.name\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\5D2A9C702A29311ED87B6AD8A346121B\profiles\Charts\MyCustomProfileName 

I copied the files (12 chart files and the order.wnd file) back to the profiles directory under C:\Program Files (x86) and reloaded the program but it does the same thing, all twelve windows open in a grid.  The order.wnd file doesn't store window positions, only the chart names (chart01.chr, chart09.chr, chart12.chr, etc.) in a specific order.  I can't see how, with only the chart names and orders how it can remember window position.  Maybe that information is stored in the chr file? 

To add comments, please log in or register