Write in file

Hello,

I made a simple EA to write something in a file just for the sake of example but it didn't work.

void OnTick()
  {
   int filehandle;
   filehandle=FileOpen("1.csv",FILE_WRITE|FILE_READ|FILE_CSV|FILE_ACCESS_DATE|FILE_IS_WRITABLE|FILE_IS_READABLE);
   if(filehandle!=INVALID_HANDLE)
     {
      ResetLastError();
      FileWrite(filehandle,TimeCurrent()," - ",Symbol());
      Print ("err ",GetLastError()); ResetLastError();

FileClose(filehandle);
      Print("FileOpen OK");
     }
   }

I got no errors and the "FileOpen Ok" message is written. My csv - "1.csv" is in MetaTrader 5\MQL5\Files

Also I noted that if I change the name of csv in my code from "1.csv" to "blabla.csv"  I also got no errors. It's very weird and I can't figure out what I'm missing.

Can you help me with some advices?

What did not work if your file is created ?

Alain Verleyen:
What did not work if your file is created ?
After I ran the EA the file is empty. No data is written. If I try to print out in the console everything is ok. P.S. MT5 is running on a virtual machine(VBOX) with winXP.

koralu:
After I ran the EA the file is empty. No data is written. If I try to print out in the console everything is ok. P.S. MT5 is running on a virtual machine(VBOX) with winXP.

You don't have to use these flags :

filehandle=FileOpen("1.csv",FILE_WRITE|FILE_READ|FILE_CSV|FILE_ACCESS_DATE|FILE_IS_WRITABLE|FILE_IS_READABLE);

and check the return value of FileWrite().

Alain Verleyen:

You don't have to use these flags :

and check the return value of FileWrite().

I removed the flags and the return value of FileWrite() function is 64. As I read in the manual this is the number of bytes written and the file is still empty. But what am I concerned is when I change the name of the file to a non existing one the "filehandle" variable is still 1 and the return value of fileWrite() is still 64.

koralu:
I removed the flags and the return value of FileWrite() function is 64. As I read in the manual this is the number of bytes written and the file is still empty. But what am I concerned is when I change the name of the file to a non existing one the "filehandle" variable is still 1 and the return value of fileWrite() is still 64.

If the file doesn't exist it's created, please read the documentation carefully.

Anyway, I tried your code and it works. Attached the file created.

Files:
1.zip  1 kb

Alain Verleyen:

If the file doesn't exist it's created, please read the documentation carefully.

Anyway, I tried your code and it works. Attached the file created.

Thank you for your time Alain. The problem was solved and I shame on me because I didn't read carefully the documentation. In the testing mode the file is created in other directory than MQL5/files.....as it said in the manual:  (or testing_agent_directory\MQL5\files in case of testing).
Reason: