What is the best programming language?

Hi Guys

I have a comprehensive Excel document that I would like to convert into a stand alone software application. What programming language should I look at to do this? I understand that different languages are better suited to different programming needs, so:

The Excel document:

- Makes a lot of calculations from multiple sheets/pages

- Incorporates graphs and other graphics that are updated regularly 

- Draws basic  DDE data from MT4

I would like to:

- Create a stand alone software application ie. It must not be Windows based

- It should be able to be easily installed and run on any computer (but I guess Windows based systems will take preference)

- It should be able to access a MT4 platform and draw trading data from it 

- It should be able to access a MT4 trading account and make/modify trades 

Can someone point me in the right direction here please. I am obviously not going to try to program this myself, I would like to outsource this... but I still need to be able to determine which programming language to use from the outset so that I can supply freelance programmers with a decent design brief....

Thanx

MikeT

PS: If you think I'm crazy.... feel free to have a good laugh and tell me...lol 

Why don't do it in mql4 ? It can do calculation, graphs and manage data.

Alain Verleyen:
Why don't do it in mql4 ? It can do calculation, graphs and manage data.

Thanx Alain...

But Mql4 is not stand alone software...(or is it?).... I mean I program EA's and stuff so I'm familiar with Mql4...but that's within the MT4 environment....

I am looking for some kind of...for a lack of better words... 'Encasing' software from which to launch Mql4 code...

I want to be able to click on a Desktop Icon and have software brought up (independent of Excel) from which I can activate Mql4 code.... such as EA's... or entering/exiting trades...

If that makes sense... 

I've been told of Adobe Air and a few others... but I have no experience to be able to make a reasonable judgement on which would be the best way to go...

I would like to make the best decision on the 'Encasing' programming language from the beginning... 

Unfortunately I am not a programmer... sooo, I have no idea what is currently the best language out there... 

PS: At some point I am going to have to get quotes etc. so I will need target my requests to the appropriate freelance developers...

Hope that makes sense... 

MikeT:

Thanx Alain...

But Mql4 is not stand alone software...(or is it?).... I mean I program EA's and stuff so I'm familiar with Mql4...but that's within the MT4 environment....

I am looking for some kind of...for a lack of better words... 'Encasing' software from which to launch Mql4 code...

I want to be able to click on a Desktop Icon and have software brought up (independent of Excel) from which I can activate Mql4 code.... such as EA's... or entering/exiting trades...

If that makes sense... 

That make sense, but why do you need a standalone software ? Maybe you want to sell it ? or other non-technical reason.

From a technical point of view that doesn't make sense to me, unless I missed something.

Alain Verleyen:

That make sense, but why do you need a standalone software ? Maybe you want to sell it ? or other non-technical reason.

From a technical point of view that doesn't make sense to me, unless I missed something.

No...you right Alain... I do want to sell it...

It's something that I created for myself and friends.... but now I'm looking at marketing it... It's good stuff in my opinion... and it's changed my trading... sooo...

Basically, I am looking at developing it further... but I have no idea as to what base programming language to use...

But I think you are getting to where I am coming from.... well.. I hope...

Any ball park programming languages I should be looking at..? I'm thinking Adobe Air.... but again... how easy is it to incorporate Myql4 into that... you see... I don't know enough about this...

I know what I want... but I don't have a starting point... 

And I would love to be able to pay a free-lancer to be able to do this... but I don't know who to approach... because I don't know what programming language we should be using.... you know...

It's a catch22... I'm not sure who to contact because I don't know what I'm asking for.... hence the question: What is the best programming language that will be stand alone and access/launch Mql4 code...? 

Go for java... it is platform independent and you can access the mt4 trade server through FIX. 

Thanx Amit.... it's looking like Java it is.... but I keep feeling like I should be doing this in Adobe Air... I need to do a bit more research... but thanx
Reason: