demo and live

Why can't I get my platform to allow me to have both demo (with active EA's) and live acct (with EA's) going at the same time?

Hi Luckey.

The reason you can't run both demo and live eas on the same platform is because most trading platforms have to connect to a single server to place trades. I've never seen a broker whose server supports both demo and live trade requests at the same time. In my experience, most live accounts not only get a better price feed in general, but also much better trade execution. It certainly seems like most brokers who offer demo accounts put much more of their energy and resources into the maintenance of their live servers, live history and live price execution. And it's usually much safer from a risk management perspective to only have your live ea's running in a single client. It reduces the chance for errors that might cost you your hard earned pips! So I don't really know of any platforms which allow you to place trades on both a demo and live server because I think it increases the chances for errors in general. And people like their live trades to be very safe so they can sleep at night :D

-R

Hi Luckey,

You cannot run demo and live at the same time because you cannot have two accounts logged in at the same time in the same client terminal window.  If you want to run EAs on your Demo and Live accounts at the same time, you will need to have two client terminals (either do it on different computers, or install MetaTrader twice on the same computer.)

Instructions to install a second copy of MetaTrader are below.

1) Download the client terminal from your broker OR from https://download.mql5.com/cdn/web/metaquotes.software.corp/mt4/mt4setup.exe?utm_campaign=MQL5.community

2) Run the executable.

3) At the "Installation folder" step, specify a new installation folder of your choice (X:\Program Files\MetaTrader for my DEMOS).

4) At the "Select program group:" step, use a similar naming convention that you used for the installation folder.

You will have to also put your experts and indicators in the new program folder X:\Program Files\MetaTrader 4 - Alternate\experts.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Reason: