Will we ever be allowed to run multiple instances of MT5 on macOS in the future?

It is very annoying to have to resort to using a virtual machine to do so. Why isn't it like in Windows, where you can simply duplicate the app, allowing you to trade and manage different accounts within the same operating system?

Josh FarlowIt is very annoying to have to resort to using a virtual machine to do so. Why isn't it like in Windows, where you can simply duplicate the app, allowing you to trade and manage different accounts within the same operating system?

Given the many problems that Apple always, deliberately or not, gives the company (MetaQuotes), removing MetaTrader from the App Store, etc., I doubt that it is even on the list to make a native terminal for MacOS in the near future.

Besides, MacOS only has a 17% global market share as an OS, so it follows that users using MetaTrader must represent a very small portion. In other words, it is simply not profitable to make and maintain a MacOS version (in addition to the Apple bias I mentioned above).

Needless to say, but this is my personal opinion.

Miguel Angel Vico Alba #:

Given the many problems that Apple always, deliberately or not, gives the company (MetaQuotes), removing MetaTrader from the App Store, etc., I doubt that it is even on the list to make a native terminal for MacOS in the near future.

Besides, MacOS only has a 17% global market share as an OS, so it follows that users using MetaTrader must represent a very small portion. In other words, it is simply not profitable to make and maintain a MacOS version (in addition to the Apple bias I mentioned above).

I agree with your view.

However, I have noticed a steady increase of MacOS users commenting on the forum, so I would presume that there has been a marked increase in the number MetaTrader users that want to use it on MacOS.

It would certainly be beneficial for MetaQuotes to implement an application that is truely and natively cross-platform for Windows, MacOS and Linux and with a more modern user interface.

Whether they do that or not, is a different question!

Metaquotes mentions on their site:

"The trading platform for macOS supports the Apple M2 chip and works reliably on any system version, including Ventura."

Doesn't this imply that MT5 is already a native application for M2 chips regardless of the operating system?
I personally haven't encountered any other issues when running the terminal on my mac, I have the exact same functionality as I do on Windows, with the exception of course, of letting me install another instance of MT5 and run it simultaneously. 

Fernando Carreiro #:

I agree with your view.

However, I have noticed a steady increase of MacOS users commenting on the forum, so I would presume that there has been a marked increase in the number MetaTrader users that want to use it on MacOS.

It would certainly be beneficial for MetaQuotes to implement an application that is truely and natively cross-platform for Windows, MacOS and Linux and with a more modern user interface.

Whether they do that or not, is a different question!

I think the increase is due to MT's problems with the Wine emulator rather than an increase in MacOS users. 

I suppose that making native versions for MacOS or Linux is not a problem in itself, maybe it's the fact that they have to be maintained afterwards and fix the bugs that may exist in those OSes. Which translates to time, money and effort.

I agree that they should make a more modern terminal interface (dark mode for example, that would be a milestone), even modernize also the web and improve your security by enabling two-factor authentication (2FA) at least for seller profiles.

However one thing doesn't take away from the other, it would be great if they did. I have no reason to think otherwise despite being a Windows fanboy since version 3.0.

Josh Farlow #:

Metaquotes mentions on their site:

"The trading platform for macOS supports the Apple M2 chip and works reliably on any system version, including Ventura."

Doesn't this imply that MT5 is already a native application for M2 chips regardless of the operating system?
I personally haven't encountered any other issues when running the terminal on my mac, I have the exact same functionality as I do on Windows, with the exception of course, of letting me install another instance of MT5 and run it simultaneously. 

No, the MacOS version is nothing more than the Windows version emulated through Wine.

Whether the terminal supports Apple M2, etc, has nothing to do with whether it is native or not. One does not imply the other.

Go to the 'Journal' tab and you will see how it is emulated through Wine in Windows 10.

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Download MetaTrader 5 for macOS and Linux

MetaQuotes, 2023.11.09 10:02

We have prepared special trading platform installers quite some time ago. The installer for macOS is a full-fledged wizard with which the app is installed seamlessly, just like a native one. For Linux, we provide a script that can be downloaded and launched with a single command.

The installers perform all the required steps: they identify the user's system, download and install the latest Wine version, configure it, and then install MetaTrader inside it. All steps are completed in the automated mode, and you can start using the platform immediately after installation.

The installer links are available on the https://www.metatrader5.com website and in the trading platform's Help menu:

For macOS: Check your Wine version

We have recently completely updated the macOS installer, incorporating numerous improvements. If you are already using MetaTrader on macOS, please check the current Wine version, which is displayed in the terminal log upon startup:

LP 0 15:56:29.402 Terminal MetaTrader 5 x64 build 4050 started for MetaQuotes Software Corp.
PF 0 15:56:29.403 Terminal Windows 10 build 18362 on Wine 8.0.1 Darwin 23.0.0, 12 x Intel Core i7-8750H  @ 2.20GHz, AVX2, 11 / 15 Gb memory, 65 / 233 Gb disk, admin, GMT+2

If your Wine version is below 8.0.1, we strongly recommend removing the old platform along with the Wine prefix in which it is installed. You can delete the platform as usual by moving it from the "Applications" section to the bin. The Wine prefix can be deleted using Finder. Select the Go > Go to Folder menu and enter the directory name: ~/Library/Application Support/. Go to this directory and delete the following folders based on the installed MetaTrader version:

~/Library/Application Support/Metatrader 5
~/Library/Application Support/net.metaquotes.wine.metatrader5
~/Library/Application Support/Metatrader 4
~/Library/Application Support/net.metaquotes.wine.metatrader4

After that, reinstall the terminal using our installers.

• During the process, you will be prompted to install additional Wine packages (Mono, Gecko). Please agree to this as they are necessary for proper functioning.
  • The minimum macOS versions are Big Sur for MetaTrader 4 and Mojave for MetaTrader 5.

You no longer need to search for manual installation instructions or use third-party solutions. You can install the platform in a couple of clicks and instantly start trading:

No, the MacOS version is nothing more than the Windows version emulated through Wine.

Whether the terminal supports Apple M2, etc, has nothing to do with whether it is native or not. One does not imply the other.

Go to the 'Journal' tab and you will see how it is emulated through Wine in Windows 10.

Appreciate your clarification, makes sense. 

It's still difficult for me to understand how they can't just let us emulate two instances through wine. But then again, I am not a developer and don't know how complex that might be...

Josh Farlow #:

Appreciate your clarification, makes sense. 

It's still difficult for me to understand how they can't just let us emulate two instances through wine. But then again, I am not a developer and don't know how complex that might be...

As you said initially you can do it through virtual machines, even through Wine and using the Windows version.

Edit: For advertising reasons I cannot attach here some videos I have seen on YouTube on how to install various terminals on MacOS. Do your own search on YouTube or even Google, there is a lot of information on this.

As you said initially you can do it through virtual machines, even through Wine and using the Windows version.

Edit: For advertising reasons I cannot attach here some videos I have seen on YouTube on how to install various terminals on MacOS. Do your own search on YouTube or even Google, there is a lot of information on this.

Yes, but using a virtual machine means I have to allocate at least 64GB of limited internal storage to it.

I did spend many days looking through forums and videos, and that was the only solution I found. I'd appreciate it if you could at least share the titles of the videos you mentioned, or if you prefer to DM the links instead. I'd be really thankful for that.

Josh Farlow #: Yes, but using a virtual machine means I have to allocate at least 64GB of limited internal storage to it. I did spend many days looking through forums and videos, and that was the only solution I found. I'd appreciate it if you could at least share the titles of the videos you mentioned, or if you prefer to DM the links instead. I'd be really thankful for that.

This may be a silly suggestion since I have never used Wine, but it may still be valid ...

... can't you just use Wine to run multiple instances, each on its own directory and running the MT terminal in "Portable Mode"?

You may need to set up Wine separately and independently.

Platform Start - For Advanced Users - Getting Started - MetaTrader 5 Help
  • www.metatrader5.com
After installation, a group of programs of the trading platform is added to the Start menu, and the program shortcut is created on the desktop. Use...

Fernando Carreiro #:

This may be a silly suggestion since I have never used Wine, but it may still be valid ...

... can't you just use Wine to run multiple instances, each on its own directory and running the MT terminal in "Portable Mode"?

You may need to set up Wine separately and independently.

Exactly, that's the procedure. There are even apps that do that job (multiple instances/directories), such as CrossOver® Mac.

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

how to open multiple MT5 instances on Mac

IndexTraderMelbourne, 2023.12.19 08:26

Finally! Finally!! Finally!!! I can run more than 1 MT5 instance on my Mac. (without using a virtual machine and BUYING a Windows licence)

1.) Install MT5 for Mac OS from broker or Metaquotes

2.) Install CrossOver https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover/download (these are the people behind Wine)

3.) Search for MT5 in CrossOver app, install and you have 2 instances of MT5 running on your Mac without spending hundreds of dollars.

Sorry for all the excitement but I've been trying to do this for ages and no-one has been able to offer any advice beyond the old 'rename the folder and install multiple instances' which does not work on a Mac.

I hope this solves this problem for someone else.

Reason: