New Laptop Slow Backtest

Hello,

I have just set up my new laptop and I have a problem with the backtest speed. By running the same backtest, with the same EA, with the same parameters,

on the VPS I was using till today it takes around 1 hour.

VPS RAM 4GB

VPS Processor 8 cores

On my new laptop it takes a lot more.

New Laptop RAM 64 GB

New Laptop Processor 14 cores

How is that? Should I setup\tick some special option in MT5?

Thanks for any help.

Keldrilh:

The first thing that comes to mind is that you must not be using the same type of modelling (OHLC M1, all ticks, real ticks, etc), or even the same date range.

Make sure you are using the same setting on the tester and the EA.

Note also that the number of threads/cores is important, but the speed of the CPU is also important. The same for the hard disk, maybe your laptop uses a mechanical disk (HDD) and the server's is a NMVE/SSD.

Keldrilh:

Hello,

I have just set up my new laptop and I have a problem with the backtest speed. By running the same backtest, with the same EA, with the same parameters,

on the VPS I was using till today it takes around 1 hour.

VPS RAM 4GB

VPS Processor 8 cores

On my new laptop it takes a lot more.

New Laptop RAM 64 GB

New Laptop Processor 14 cores

How is that? Should I setup\tick some special option in MT5?

Thanks for any help.

If you provide the log files from both side, we will be able to provide an answer which is not guessing.

Your topic has been moved to the section: Expert Advisors and Automated Trading
Please consider which section is most appropriate — https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/172166/page6#comment_49114893

Thank you for your answers.

In the meanwhile I did some changes to the options and I fixed it.

Writing it here in case someone may need it.

I disabled the news, I removed all symbols from history leaving the few needed, and I changed the bars from unlimited, and restarted also the laptop.

So now the new laptop is taking half time than the time on the VPS for the same backtest.

Also I noticed that while on the VPS, by running 2 MT5 simultaneously, so running 2 backtests simultaneously, the speed of both backtests was decreasing, on the new laptop I can run 2 MT5 simultaneously that the speed of each backtests doesn't decrease. I might try to add a third MT5 now.

Keldrilh #:

Thank you for your answers.

In the meanwhile I did some changes to the options and I fixed it.

Writing it here in case someone may need it.

I disabled the news, I removed all symbols from history leaving the few needed, and I changed the bars from unlimited, and restarted also the laptop.

So now the new laptop is taking half time than the time on the VPS for the same backtest.

Also I noticed that while on the VPS, by running 2 MT5 simultaneously, so running 2 backtests simultaneously, the speed of both backtests was decreasing, on the new laptop I can run 2 MT5 simultaneously that the speed of each backtests doesn't decrease. I might try to add a third MT5 now.

Why are you running multiple MT5s for the back-tests?

Just run an optimisation on a single MT5 and it will run multiple simultaneous passes over the available CPU threads.

I have not run an optimisation yet.

On the VPS I tried, but with just few paramaters and steps the esteemed time was 19 hours.

I will do the optimisation later with the new laptop.

The reason why now I'm running more backtests simultaneously is because I'm running backtests on each month. So 12 backtests.

And I will check in each monthly backtest if they there are bugs on the EA code. (I'm not the coder. I hired a freelancer to code it for me).

Once the check is completed and there are no bugs, I will run for each month the optimisation. Hopefully with the new laptop the esteemed time will go down a lot from the 19 hours.

Reason: