Want to import tick data to backtest a strategy on XAUUSD, however charts not working as yet

Hi, I just created a MetaTrader account and I need to learn the MQL5 language to implement a strategy on the XAUUSD market at 1-minute timeframe where we also want to use tick data as well as candle data, and I have a CSV file of the data that I want to import, however I created an account with *** as well and I still can't see any charts (I've reached out to *** Customer Support asking if they know how to fix that). Is there a reason why I would not be seeing charts, or can I just go ahead and write MQL5 code at this point anyway? Just seeking clarification about this as someone completely new to MT5 whose questions may be a bit naive (but I have experience with using Forex Tester 5 API and Trading View, for example).

rupert65: Hi, I just created a MetaTrader account and I need to learn the MQL5 language to implement a strategy on the XAUUSD market at 1-minute timeframe where we also want to use tick data as well as candle data, and I have a CSV file of the data that I want to import, however I created an account with *** as well and I still can't see any charts (I've reached out to *** Customer Support asking if they know how to fix that). Is there a reason why I would not be seeing charts, or can I just go ahead and write MQL5 code at this point anyway? Just seeking clarification about this as someone completely new to MT5 whose questions may be a bit naive (but I have experience with using Forex Tester 5 API and Trading View, for example).

Unlike MT4, you don't need to import tick data on MT5. It already offers historical tick data.

If you can't see your normal charts, then you might have a network connection problem. Look at the Journal log for any messages about possible issues.

Fernando Carreiro #:

Unlike MT4, you don't need to import tick data on MT5. It already offers historical tick data.

If you can't see your normal charts, then you might have a network connection problem. Look at the Journal log for any messages about possible issues.

Thank you, I think I have resolved the previous problem, but when I try to add a new symbol I do not see XAUUSD on the list of symbols, and I am not quite sure what to do about that.

rupert65 #: Thank you, I think I have resolved the previous problem, but when I try to add a new symbol I do not see XAUUSD on the list of symbols, and I am not quite sure what to do about that.

First, make sure that the broker offers the symbol "XAUUSD". It may be classified under a different section such as "Metals" or it may be under a different symbol name.

Bring up the Symbols (Ctrl-U) window, and search the available symbols, and once you have found it, select it and click "Show Symbol" to enable it.

Fernando Carreiro #:

First, make sure that the broker offers the symbol "XAUUSD". It may be classified under a different section such as "Metals" or it may be under a different symbol name.

Bring up the Symbols (Ctrl-U) window, and search the available symbols, and once you have found it, select it and click "Show Symbol" to enable it.

I appreciate your clarification, I concluded that the broker I was initially trying to work with was not the best choice and switched to a different broker, however I am encountering obstacles to getting MT5 to connect to the server for my newly-created demo account, which I hope their CS team can resolve soon. While waiting for further communications about that, I was exploring the possibility of creating my own custom symbol XAUUSD and importing tick data for it, since I have the dataset I want to work with and just want to do backtesting (where the goal is to allow my manager to compare the resulting trade log with the results of her manual testing on the same dataset, to make sure the strategy has been implemented correctly). In order to do that I need to get a sense of how I would define the parameters for my newly created custom symbol if I can't make use of any existing XAUUSD symbol since I haven't as yet got a broker that offers that symbol. Is there any place where I could get information that would assist me with doing that?

rupert65 #:
I appreciate your clarification, I concluded that the broker I was initially trying to work with was not the best choice and switched to a different broker, however I am encountering obstacles to getting MT5 to connect to the server for my newly-created demo account, which I hope their CS team can resolve soon. While waiting for further communications about that, I was exploring the possibility of creating my own custom symbol XAUUSD and importing tick data for it, since I have the dataset I want to work with and just want to do backtesting (where the goal is to allow my manager to compare the resulting trade log with the results of her manual testing on the same dataset, to make sure the strategy has been implemented correctly). In order to do that I need to get a sense of how I would define the parameters for my newly created custom symbol if I can't make use of any existing XAUUSD symbol since I haven't as yet got a broker that offers that symbol. Is there any place where I could get information that would assist me with doing that?
This is fine, I have resolved my problems now.
Reason: