When can PositionGetTicket() fail?

Hi,

recently I observed the issue that the MQL method PositionGetTicket() failed. It returned 0 for many, many trials.

If this error comes up I still can place orders. But it would be interesting for me to know what a reason might be. Broker error, broker blocks something, merket closed, delay...?

Thank you very much for your ideas

Your topic has been moved to the section: Expert Advisors and Automated Trading — Please consider which section is most appropriate — https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/172166/page6#comment_49114893

Eugen Funk:

Hi,

recently I observed the issue that the MQL method PositionGetTicket() failed. It returned 0 for many, many trials.

If this error comes up I still can place orders. But it would be interesting for me to know what a reason might be. Broker error, broker blocks something, merket closed, delay...?

Thank you very much for your ideas

It may be an error from the code itself.

I have not looked at your code: did you use it in a loop? Do you know ticket is ulong type of integer? Example below...(how i do it):

int Total=PositionsTotal();

for(int i=0; i<Total; i++){
ulong ticket=PositionGetTicket(i);
//This should loop through all the positions and then you can get several parameters of the Positions eg
string Symb= PositionGetString(POSITION_SYMBOL);
}

Busingye Tusasirwe #:

It may be an error from the code itself.

I have not looked at your code: did you use it in a loop? Do you know ticket is ulong type of integer? Example below...(how i do it):

The main suggestion on positions is to go backwards, never iterate forward.

Reasons are given on multiple threads on this forum. Do a search, please.

Your version is inconsistent at the moment.

Edit:

for(int i=Total - 1; i>=0; i--)
Reason: