Best solution for spread stretch at rollover period (0:00 GMT+3)???

Any best way to trade at rollover time, spread at that point is just ridiculous. My trading style frequently takes orders or holds a trade through that time, despite the price on the chart being away 15 pips from my SL, the spread is more than 20 pips, and yes from a BE trade, it turns to a 2R lose trade. Seem like SL doesn't work at all during the rollover period (just a couple of minutes).

La Toi:
Any best way to trade at rollover time, spread at that point is just ridiculous. My trading style frequently takes orders or holds a trade through that time, despite the price on the chart being away 15 pips from my SL, the spread is more than 20 pips, and yes from a BE trade, it turns to a 2R lose trade. Seem like SL doesn't work at all during the rollover period (just a couple of minutes).

you don't say what you are trading, but futures and CFDs with a rollover period are not normally tradeable through the rollover window which can be 5-90 minutes depending upon the instrument.  If your broker allows you to trade through that window then that is off-market  hence the wide spreads and best avoided. So find out the facts about what you are trading from your broker, it maybe in the symbol specification as well.

Paul Anscombe #:

you don't say what you are trading, but futures and CFDs with a rollover period are not normally tradeable through the rollover window which can be 5-90 minutes depending upon the instrument.  If your broker allows you to trade through that window then that is off-market  hence the wide spreads and best avoided. So find out the facts about what you are trading from your broker, it maybe in the symbol specification as well.

Oh, my bad for the lack of information. I trade CFDs and especially the minor pairs. More specifically, the NZD/CHF, spread stretch is about 20pips at the rollover period (even my account is Raw Spread), I ask some other guys and they say that spread is normal for every broker and can be accepted. But because of my trading system, I find it's a nightmare. One of the solutions I think of is to cancel the SL at that time (about 1-2 minutes) and set it back later on, but you can see, it is extremely risky. So do you have any recommendations for the solution or a different broker that has a better spread??? 

La Toi #:

Oh, my bad for the lack of information. I trade CFDs and especially the minor pairs. More specifically, the NZD/CHF, spread stretch is about 20pips at the rollover period (even my account is Raw Spread), I ask some other guys and they say that spread is normal for every broker and can be accepted. But because of my trading system, I find it's a nightmare. One of the solutions I think of is to cancel the SL at that time (about 1-2 minutes) and set it back later on, but you can see, it is extremely risky. So do you have any recommendations for the solution or a different broker that has a better spread??? (I trade on IC Markets th

don't mention brokers here you will get banned.. 

why trade a cfd of FX  just trade FX direct then there is no roll over period.

1. Paul Anscombe #: then there is no roll over period.

OP is talking about the large spread at the end of day.

2. La Toi: Any best way to trade at rollover time, spread at that point is just ridiculous.

Most brokers with variable spreads widen considerably at end of day (5 PM ET) ± 30 minutes.
    My GBPJPY shows average spread = 26 points, average maximum spread = 134.
    My EURCHF shows average spread = 18 points, average maximum spread = 106.
    (your broker will be similar).
              Is it reasonable to have such a huge spreads (20 PIP spreads) in EURCHF? - General - MQL5 programming forum (2022)

3. La Toi My trading style frequently takes orders or holds a trade through that time, despite the price on the chart being away 15 pips from my SL, the spread is more than 20 pips,

Until you can state your requirements in concrete terms, it can not be coded.

Either trade larger timeframes, so your SL is further away, or use the maximum spread instead of average spread for your SL, or both.
              How to trade "day" bar in Oanda data? - Expert Advisors and Automated Trading - MQL5 programming forum #4 (2023)

Perhaps, think about calculating max spread per hour, and using the largest in the next two hours.

William Roeder #:
  1. OP is talking about the large spread at the end of day.

2. Most brokers with variable spreads widen considerably at end of day (5 PM ET) ± 30 minutes.
    My GBPJPY shows average spread = 26 points, average maximum spread = 134.
    My EURCHF shows average spread = 18 points, average maximum spread = 106.
    (your broker will be similar).
              Is it reasonable to have such a huge spreads (20 PIP spreads) in EURCHF? - General - MQL5 programming forum (2022)

3. Until you can state your requirements in concrete terms, it can not be coded.

Either trade larger timeframes, so your SL is further away, or use the maximum spread instead of average spread for your SL, or both.
              How to trade "day" bar in Oanda data? - Expert Advisors and Automated Trading - MQL5 programming forum #4 (2023)

Perhaps, think about calculating max spread per hour, and using the largest in the next two hours.

3. Yes, you're right. If I trade a larger timeframes it may not be a problem (I trade 30M tho), but I only find my strategy works the best with 30M according to my 10 years + backtesting data, so sometimes the trades chose you.

The pain thing is that my trade usually opens before the rollover period by more than 4 hours. In that 4 hours (which is spread still normal) I don't know whether my trade hit TP or not so I can't control the lot size to adjust the SL, it is way too early to predict if it happens or not. Aside from that, my trade signals usually start at 0:00 AM (the rollover is 4-5:00 AM) in my timezone, so I need to set a TP and SL then go to sleep. Maybe I should find a different broker when trading at that time.

Since you mention about the EAs, so does EA can do something with a rollover big spread stretch??  I never heard of it before

Paul Anscombe #:

don't mention brokers here you will get banned.. 

why trade a cfd of FX  just trade FX direct then there is no roll over period.

Thank for the warning, I will take note.

In my place they don't allow to trade FX so....

La Toi #: , so does EA can do something with a rollover big spread stretch?? 

Did you code it to do so?

William Roeder #:

Did you code it to do so?

Nope. Cause I don't know if an EA can do that or not although I know there are some trailing stop EAs or moving SL to assign price EAs but I never heard of EA can do something with the rollover spread stretched thing. If you give me some ideas I may try to figure out it myself

La Toi #:
Nope. Cause I don't know if an EA can do that or not although I know there are some trailing stop EAs or moving SL to assign price EAs but I never heard of EA can do something with the rollover spread stretched thing. If you give me some ideas I may try to figure out it myself
It is for sure not easy to deal with it without distracting your strategy. Some close their trades and reopen them later again, other retail-hedge their positions and remove the SL, later remove the hedge.

It's not clear how to deal with it, I personally would simply avoid these times, or adjust my trade, either the volume so I can change the SL, according to my risk, or anticipate the situation and plan the trade already at opening to accommodate the large spread.

I wouldn't know how else to deal with it. It's like with news, some trade it, some love it, other avoid it. I would avoid it.

Dominik Egert #:
anticipate the situation and plan the trade already at opening to accommodate the large spread.

Yeah, you're right. The EA solution seems too complicated to think of. 

When I first occur this situation, I thought the problem was coming from the broker, like they were trying to scam me or something. But seem like it is just a part of the game, we much accept it and find another way around it huh

Thank you for your piece of advice, I will definitely put some of your ideas into consideration. 

Reason: