How To Sell An Indicator Which Needs DLL?

Hi there. I am developing an indicator which grabs data from a website to plot in metatrader indicator sub window.

I know that when we publish a product we can only upload a single file, which is the compiled indicator.

My question is: is it allowed to post the DLL needed inside the product page description? Like a link to dropbox or something, or a message saying people need to contact via PM to get the DLL?

If the answer to the above is no, how do we solve this problem?

Alberto Gauer Borrego:
Hi there. I am developing an indicator which grabs data from a website to plot in metatrader indicator sub window.

I know that when we publish a product we can only upload a single file, which is the compiled indicator.

My question is: is it allowed to post the DLL needed inside the product page description? Like a link to dropbox or something, or a message saying people need to contact via PM to get the DLL?

You turn the indicator into an EA and use the built in WebRequest to facilitate communication with that website . Your users will also need to add that url into the list of allowed urls 

Then you sell it as a utility .

The answer is No.

And how to solve it: You use MQL language only. If you cannot do it inside MQL, you cannot upload and publish the product on mql market.

MQL Market only allows pure MQL coded ex5 files. Any try to circumvent these limitations will be detected and the upload will fail.

Alberto Gauer Borrego:

No it is prohibited to use DLL imports 

Thanks for the replies.

Ok I see so the best way is to turn into an EA as if the EA were an indicator (and use the webrequest function). Got it.

Ok so there is no way to make an EA to be like an indicator, so the solution is to create and sell the EA which will grab the data from the site and store the data into a file, as historical data, then create a "companion" indicator to be published for free, which will only work with the EA. The indicator will read the data that the EA grabs, and plot it on an indicator subwindow.

Alberto Gauer Borrego #:
Ok so there is no way to make an EA to be like an indicator, so the solution is to create and sell the EA which will grab the data from the site and store the data into a file, as historical data, then create a "companion" indicator to be published for free, which will only work with the EA. The indicator will read the data that the EA grabs, and plot it on an indicator subwindow.

I think you can resource the indicator in the EA and add it to the chart , if i remember correctly . (on MT5 only)

Alberto Gauer Borrego #:
You cannot make one product depend on another product.

You will need to build one product and follow Lorenzo's advice.

Build an EA that loads the data, have the indicator as resource inside the EA, let the EA load the indicator onto the chart.

That would be a valid solution to your problem. One that you also can sell on market.

EDIT:
Maybe you want to look at services instead of EAs... It will save you a lot of problems with multiple instances.

Dominik Egert #:
You cannot make one product depend on another product.

You will need to build one product and follow Lorenzo's advice.

Build an EA that loads the data, have the indicator as resource inside the EA, let the EA load the indicator onto the chart.

That would be a valid solution to your problem. One that you also can sell on market.

EDIT:
Maybe you want to look at services instead of EAs... It will save you a lot of problems with multiple instances.

where would the users download the service if someone wanted to go that route ? thanks

Lorentzos Roussos #:

where would the users download the service if someone wanted to go that route ? thanks

Well, I guess it would be listed under "utilities" in the market. I have no idea if it's possible to upload a service as indicator. But it would be installed in the wrong directory, I guess...

You mean it's an issue with marketing a utility as an indicator, right?

That is in fact an issue, but I would guess uploading an EA in the Experts section as an indicator might not even work, because "no trading activity" and therefore probably fail the test.

And uploading an EA as an indicator is also not possible. So it might stand, you don't even have an option, but to upload as utility, created as either EA or Service. Since we can upload whatever we want as utility, that's probably the only way.

One possible option would be to build an indicator that works as is, and >optionally< takes advantage of additional data from a second product.

The second product as your service providing the additional data.

I suppose this is legit. As none of the products depend on each other.
Reason: