If I legaly get/buy a copy/license of a EA, can I use it to offer my own signal into the mql5 signals service or out of it either?

If not, Why not, or if yes, why yes?

There isn't any rule against it in MQL5.com Market or Signals rules, as far as I know.

Eleni Anna Branou #: There isn't any rule against it in MQL5.com Market or Signals rules, as far as I know.

I would disagree because ...

III. Buyers

1. Any user who has enough money in the Payment System can become the Buyer.
  2. The Buyer has no right to resell the purchased Product either through the Market service or in any other way.
  3. Purchasing a Product does not mean buying rights to it. The Product is transferred to the Buyer for personal use only.

I would consider selling a signal based on the product as being "comercial use" and not "personal use", but MetaQuotes seems to turn a blind eye to such legalities.

In other words, the "signal" is taking away business and sales from the author of the product. I would consider that a violation of III.3 and indirectly also III.2

Rules of Using the Market Service
Rules of Using the Market Service
  • www.mql5.com
General Provisions and Conditions of Use service Market

Fernando Carreiro #:

I would disagree because ...

III. Buyers

1. Any user who has enough money in the Payment System can become the Buyer.
  2. The Buyer has no right to resell the purchased Product either through the Market service or in any other way.
  3. Purchasing a Product does not mean buying rights to it. The Product is transferred to the Buyer for personal use only.

I would consider selling a signal based on the product as being "comercial use" and not "personal use", but MetaQuotes seems to turn a blind eye to such legalities.

In other words, the "signal" is taking away business and sales from the author of the product. I would consider that a violation of III.3 and indirectly also III.2

With some personal experience on the matter, I would say that the use of an EA as a base for a signal, it boosts this product's sales and doesn't undermine them, especially when it is mentioned that this EA is used in that signal.

Many users are buying this EA, trying to recreate the same performance in their personal trading account, so all this its a win-win situation for the signal provider, the EA seller and Metaquotes too.

Eleni Anna Branou #:

With some personal experience on the matter, I would say that the use of an EA as a base for a signal, it boosts this product's sales and doesn't undermine them, especially when it is mentioned that this EA is used in that signal.

Many users are buying this EA, trying to recreate the same performance in their personal trading account, so all this its a win-win situation for the signal provider, the EA seller and Metaquotes too.

That's not the problem.

Using a a product from the Market for a signal, is not only unethical but also against the rules as noted by Fernando, unless you have the agreement of the seller.

Alain Verleyen #:

That's not the problem.

Using a a product from the Market for a signal, is not only unethical but also against the rules as noted by Fernando, unless you have the agreement of the seller.

So, if the user asks the permission of the seller and he grants it, its all fine?

Eleni Anna Branou #: So, if the user asks the permission of the seller and he grants it, its all fine?

If this were an ideal situation, they would require the authorisation of three entities:

• Obviously, the seller of the product.
  • The programmer (if not the seller) who owns the copyrights, unless they sold it to the seller (which is very rare and requires formal documentation).
  • Metaquotes, because they manage the store-front, distribution and the licensing.

However, given that MetaQuotes usually "fudges" the rules in their benefit, and given that many sellers incorrectly assume that they own the copyrights of any code they commission from freelances, things can get complicated very quickly.

In essence, it is unclear!

Eleni Anna Branou #:

So, if the user asks the permission of the seller and he grants it, its all fine?

In my opinion yes.

Alain Verleyen #:
In my opinion yes.

Then a good advice for anyone that asks, is to grant the author's/seller's permission.

Thanks Alain.

Selling a signal based on a purchased product does not break Market rules.

A signal is not a Product that is mentioned in the rules.

I.1. The Market section of mql5.com is a service for safe purchasing and selling of programs written in the MQL5/MQL4 language, hereinafter referred to as Products.
So it's not correct to refer to clauses III.2 and III.3 in this case.

Alexey Petrov #:

Selling a signal based on a purchased product does not break Market rules.

A signal is not a Product that is mentioned in the rules.

So it's not correct to refer to clauses III.2 and III.3 in this case.

Nobody said a signal is a Product.

It's the other way, a Product can be used ONLY for personal use, as clearly stated by Metaquotes own rules (BUYERS, point 3).

Purchasing a Product does not mean buying rights to it. The Product is transferred to the Buyer for personal use only.

Are you saying that a Signal publicly available is for personal use ?

Reason: