Coding Language - page 4

@Paul Anscombe #: I started on assembler then cobol 🤣

At school we learned Fortran and COBOL, and we did it with punch cards (it was the early 80's).

Later at home, it was BASIC and Z80 Assembler on a ZX Spectrum, and after that I moved onto the CP/M operating system on Spectravideo, where I started with C and Pascal (by Borland).

At the company where my father worked, I started developing software for them on a DEC PDP-11/24.

Only in the late 80's, did I first start with a IBM PC/XT clone, and programming with C++ and x86 Assembler.

Paul Anscombe #: I started on assembler then cobol 🤣

Assembler, the way to go. GUI, database, application, all running in 8 KB (SIC) +OS(8 KB). NY Stock Exchange, 110 terminals, 2 second response time, on in 64 KB.

hehe, great days.

Univac 1100 with Cobol on punched cards,

DEC PDP 11 with 64Kb RAM and 24 terminals. This beast run FORTRAN. Linking was a slight problem, every time when linker starts we had time for coffee or two in the coffee shop across the street.

Fernando Carreiro #:

At school we learned Fortran and COBOL, and we did it with punch cards (it was the early 80's).

Later at home, it was BASIC and Z80 Assembler on a ZX Spectrum, and after that I moved onto the CP/M operating system on Spectravideo, where I started with C and Pascal (by Borland).

At the company where my father worked, I started developing software for them on a DEC PDP-11/24.

Only in the late 80's, did I first start with a IBM PC/XT clone, and programming with C++ and x86 Assembler.

My professor had given me a small rectangular case with 12 floppy disks for borland Pascal . Now the case was bordeaux with golden letters , and it was before valentines day . So a girl saw me staring at it and thought i bought a perfume for one of her friends . She was disappointed when she opened the case 😂

(also we did QBasic in Greece , in high school . I remember the school book being riddled with errors)

Fernando Carreiro #:

Just open up MetaEditor and read the documentation for it (F1). MQL is similar to C and C++ and is compiled.

ok i have been doing a lot of reading of what you told me and code.  very like C/C++ imo.

see the attached chart ,  is there a way to read data when these get generated?  i want to see if i can read/pick out the 'arrow' data when that occurs and use it to make buys/sells.   on practice account only of course.

i'd like to write a monitor program of some sort to do this just to practice.

thanks

Ray

Files:

rrb1002 #: ok i have been doing a lot of reading of what you told me and code.  very like C/C++ imo. see the attached chart ,  is there a way to read data when these get generated?  i want to see if i can read/pick out the 'arrow' data when that occurs and use it to make buys/sells. on practice account only of course. i'd like to write a monitor program of some sort to do this just to practice.

The function to read data from custom indicators, like the ones shown in your image, is iCustom().

However, don't bite off more than you can chew. Start small. Start by simply reading the data from a moving average for example.

There are plenty of code samples in the CodeBase. Find a few simple ones and study them. Use them as a reference to build on.

Documentation on MQL5: Technical Indicators / iCustom
Documentation on MQL5: Technical Indicators / iCustom
  • www.mql5.com
iCustom - Technical Indicators - MQL5 Reference - Reference on algorithmic/automated trading language for MetaTrader 5

Fernando Carreiro #:

The function to read data from custom indicators, like the ones shown in your image, is iCustom().

However, don't bite off more than you can chew. Start small. Start by simply reading the data from a moving average for example.

There are plenty of code samples in the CodeBase. Find a few simple ones and study them. Use them as a reference to build on.

i guess i am having trouble with terminology as with any new thing.

when i want to search for something on codebase, how do i word it?

like above, you said find examples of reading data from a moving average, for example.

so, how would i search for that in a more specific way?

some results come up with indicators but no EAs that i can read through the code that use the indicators.

what terms would help my searches?

rrb1002 #: i guess i am having trouble with terminology as with any new thing. when i want to search for something on codebase, how do i word it? like above, you said find examples of reading data from a moving average, for example. so, how would i search for that in a more specific way? some results come up with indicators but no EAs that i can read through the code that use the indicators. what terms would help my searches?

Come on! How does one find anything on Google when there are so many hits?

CodeBase only has 178 pages of listings. You could even scan it manually "with your eyes" without resorting a search.

However, why not start with the "moving average" EA example that MetaQuotes provides in the installation?

Fernando Carreiro #:

Come on! How does one find anything on Google when there are so many hits?

CodeBase only has 178 pages of listings. You could even scan it manually "with your eyes" without resorting a search.

However, why not start with the "moving average" EA example that MetaQuotes provides in the installation?

ok thanks for the info.  that is a good stat to know.  i just assumed it was also returning millions of hits.  my bad.

i am coding the MACD example as we speak. 

Reason: