Set up EA for indicator that I don't have the code for.

Is there any way to set up an EA based on an indicator that I don't have the code for. The indicator draws lines on the chart and has dots for buy and sell signals. Is there anyway I can make an EA that buys or sells on those dots?

mSlow18: Is there any way to set up an EA based on an indicator that I don't have the code for. The indicator draws lines on the chart and has dots for buy and sell signals. Is there anyway I can make an EA that buys or sells on those dots?

If the Indicator displays the data in a way that also appears in the Data Window, then it is using buffers and you can use the iCustom() function to retrieve that data and use it in an EA.

However, if the data is instead presented purely as graphical with no data displayed in the Data Window, then you will have to scan the Graphical Objects and collect the information indirectly by retrieving it from the objects' properties. This however, will be quite difficult for beginner coders.

iCustom - Technical Indicators - MQL4 Reference
  • docs.mql4.com

Fernando Carreiro #:

If the EA displays the data in a way that also appears in the Data Window, then it is using buffers and you can use the iCustom() function to retrieve that data and use it in an EA.

However, if the data is instead presented purely as graphical with no data displayed in the Data Window, then you will have to scan the Graphical Objects and collect the information indirectly by retrieving it from the objects' properties. This however, will be quite difficult for beginner coders.

Thank you for the response. Much appreciated.
Reason: