Receiving different losses on the same position size, with the same stop loss

Hi Guys, 

I was coding a dollar value lot calculator when i realised that the losses from my positions were different, even though the lot sizes and stop losses were set to the same Point value

Can someone explain why this might be?  It's making the testing of the calculator a little tricky!

In Example 3, i have 3 positions, 2 of which are 0.92 lots, both of which closed at 19.98. The third position is 50% of 0.92 lots, 0.46, and would expect to see a loss of 50% of 19.98, but as you can see it's higher. 

Examples 1 and 2 show positions of the same size, with different loss values.

Thanks in advance

Documentation on MQL5: Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Environment State / Symbol Properties
Documentation on MQL5: Constants, Enumerations and Structures / Environment State / Symbol Properties
  • www.mql5.com
Symbol Properties - Environment State - Constants, Enumerations and Structures - MQL5 Reference - Reference on algorithmic/automated trading language for MetaTrader 5
Files:
Example3.jpg  45 kb
Example2.jpg  30 kb
Example1.png  7 kb

Meta_Work: I was coding a dollar value lot calculator when i realised that the losses from my positions were different, even though the lot sizes and stop losses were set to the same Point value. Can someone explain why this might be?  It's making the testing of the calculator a little tricky! In Example 3, i have 3 positions, 2 of which are 0.92 lots, both of which closed at 19.98. The third position is 50% of 0.92 lots, 0.46, and would expect to see a loss of 50% of 19.98, but as you can see it's higher. Examples 1 and 2 show positions of the same size, with different loss values.

In example 3, the position with 0.46 lots closed in a loss of 23 points (there was slippage), hence the extra loss.

In example 2, one of the positions slipped as well with a loss of 22 points.

In example 1, one of the positions slipped 3 points at a loss of 23 points.

In all, this is totally normal. Slippage is normal. It is part of the trading costs that one must account for and try to mitigate.

Fernando Carreiro #:

In example 3, the position with 0.46 lots closed in a loss of 23 points (there was slippage), hence the extra loss.

In example 2, one of the positions slipped as well with a loss of 22 points.

In example 1, one of the positions slipped 3 points at a loss of 23 points.

In all, this is totally normal. Slippage is normal. It is part of the trading costs that one must account for and try to mitigate.

Thanks Fernando, i thought that might be the case, but i couldn't see the closing price of each of the positions to clarify. 

How were you able to see the slippage? or did you work it out based on pip value?

Many Thanks, 

Meta_Work #: Thanks Fernando, i thought that might be the case, but i couldn't see the closing price of each of the positions to clarify. How were you able to see the slippage? or did you work it out based on pip value?

What do you mean by you couldn't see the closing prices? They are in your screenshots.

Stop-loss was at 0.63790, but closed at 0.63787 (3 point slippage).

Fernando Carreiro #:

What do you mean by you couldn't see the closing prices? They are in your screenshots.

My god. I'm sorry Fernando, i don't know how i missed that. 

I have two columns both named Price, so i've clearly disregarded the closing column. 

Undeniably resolved :-)

Meta_Work #: My god. I'm sorry Fernando, i don't know how i missed that. I have two columns both named Price, so i've clearly disregarded the closing column. Undeniably resolved :-)
Yes, they are unfortunately idiotically named the same, so your confusion is somewhat understandable.
Reason: