Indicators: Volumes Spread mod

Volumes Spread mod:

Volumes Spread mod

Volumes Spread mod

Author: Nicholas C Weber

Why would you scale (divide) the volume by the spread?

They are not related neither by value nor by units.

Not to mention that the spread value provided by the system in the OHLC data, is the minimum spread for the bar (not the maximum nor the average).

Fernando Carreiro #:

Why would you scale (divide) the volume by the spread?

They are not related neither by value nor by units.

Not to mention that the spread value provided by the system in the OHLC data, is the minimum spread for the bar (not the maximum nor the average).

To my understanding, Spread denotes liquidity, no? you can tell that also by when midnight rolls around the spread increases drastically. It's just another option people could use. Why wouldn't I experiment?

Nicholas C Weber #: To my understanding, Spread denotes liquidity, no? you can tell that also by when midnight rolls around the spread increases drastically. It's just another option people could use. Why wouldn't I experiment?

No, spread does not denote liquidity nor volatility! You can have an increase in spread at moments of both high or low liquidity, or moments of high or low volatility.

Besides, as I have already stated, the value of the spread stored in the Rates data is the minimum spread. So even if there were a high average spread or even a spike in spread during the bar duration, only the minimum value is stored, which defeats your "logic".

Fernando Carreiro #:

No, spread does not denote liquidity nor volatility! You can have an increase in spread at moments of both high or low liquidity, or moments of high or low volatility.

Besides, as I have already stated, the value of the spread stored in the Rates data is the minimum spread. So even if there were a high average spread or even a spike in spread during the bar duration, only the minimum value is stored, which defeats your "logic".

And if you insert ArraySetAsSeries(spread,true); , will that not update spreads on an on tick basis for the current candle? When I changed the code to set as series and removed it, the appearance of the volume histogram changed. Spread is a constant just like OHCL and volumes, and you can set it as a series for a dynamic array. But I think I understand what you're saying, though.  So even if I set it as a dynamic array, it won't feedback the max spread at the moment of occurence, then drop back down? I don't care about the previous candle's spread. This is for EA design, and I'm trying any and every thing at this point. I do appreciate the info though.
https://www.mql5.com/en/docs/array/arraysetasseries

Documentation on MQL5: Array Functions / ArraySetAsSeries
Documentation on MQL5: Array Functions / ArraySetAsSeries
  • www.mql5.com
ArraySetAsSeries - Array Functions - MQL5 Reference - Reference on algorithmic/automated trading language for MetaTrader 5

Nicholas C Weber #: And if you insert ArraySetAsSeries(spread,true); , will that not update spreads on an on tick basis for the current candle? When I changed the code to set as series and removed it, the appearance of the volume histogram changed. Spread is a constant just like OHCL and volumes, and you can set it as a series for a dynamic array. But I think I understand what you're saying, though.  So even if I set it as a dynamic array, it won't feedback the max spread at the moment of occurence, then drop back down? I don't care about the previous candle's spread. This is for EA design, and I'm trying any and every thing at this point. I do appreciate the info though.

I think you should seriously read the documentation again on what ArraySetAsSeries does.

You should also take some time to better understand what spread is and how it works.

And while you at it, also take some time to understand what volume is, be it real trade volume or tick count volume.

Fernando Carreiro #:

I think you should seriously read the documentation again on what ArraySetAsSeries does.

You should also take some time to better understand what spread is and how it works.

And while you at it, also take some time to understand what volume is, be it real trade volume or tick count volume.

Ok. Thanks.

Reason: