Who manages the MT5 historical tick data source?

I am not sure about the ticks requested in the View -> Symbols -> Ticks tab. In my case, it only has about a year and a half's history. Is the history before that

1. deleted by the broker, which implies the broker manages the tick history on their MT5 server

2. or it's by MetaQuotes who records the brokers price stream, save it for some time for our traders' usage and delete some portion of it periodically to save their server usage?

If it is the former, could anyone suggest me which broker provides rich tick history? Except for the public ones like dukascopy.

eofc01: I am not sure about the ticks requested in the View -> Symbols -> Ticks tab. In my case, it only has about a year and a half's history. Is the history before that. 1. deleted by the broker, which implies the broker manages the tick history on their MT5 server. 2. or it's by MetaQuotes who records the brokers price stream, save it for some time for our traders' usage and delete some portion of it periodically to save their server usage? If it is the former, could anyone suggest me which broker provides rich tick history? Except for the public ones like dukascopy.

On MT5, the tick data and OHLC rates data, are all managed by the broker. Broker recommendations are against forum rules. You will have to do your own research. Ask the broker about their data retention times.

Fernando Carreiro #:

On MT5, the tick data and OHLC rates data, are all managed by the broker. Broker recommendations are against forum rules. You will have to do your own research. Ask the broker about their data retention times.

Thank you for the info. Quite interestingly, I’ve consulted my broker and they replied that it’s the price stream recorded by MetaQuotes. Maybe that guy just didn’t know how it works. I personally believe your point of view.

eofc01 #: Thank you for the info. Quite interestingly, I’ve consulted my broker and they replied that it’s the price stream recorded by MetaQuotes. Maybe that guy just didn’t know how it works. I personally believe your point of view.

If the broker is saying that, then they are most probably a scam broker. Double check this please. Either they misunderstood your question or they are indeed a scam.

For a proper broker, the rates data is provided by a 3rd party (a data feed or liquidity provider, not MetaQuotes) and they then provide it to the retail trader via the MetaTrader application.

Fernando Carreiro #:

If the broker is saying that, then they are most probably a scam broker. Double check this please. Either they misunderstood your question or they are indeed a scam.

For a proper broker, the rates data is provided by a 3rd party (a data feed or liquidity provider, not MetaQuotes) and they then provide it to the retail trader via the MetaTrader application.

Sorry I didn’t seem to formulate that properly. He meant the history is originally from them but not managed by them. It is MetaQuotes who stores brokers’ price stream on MT’s server and manages it. The broker just provides the price stream (which originally from their LP) and nothing else. Anyway I don’t think he knows the details.

eofc01 #: Sorry I didn’t seem to formulate that properly. He meant the history is originally from them but not managed by them. It is MetaQuotes who stores brokers’ price stream on MT’s server and manages it. The broker just provides the price stream (which originally from their LP) and nothing else. Anyway I don’t think he knows the details.
That is still incorrect! A broker will store and manage their own data, on their own servers, using software provided by MetaQuotes, namely MetaTrader server back-end software.

Fernando Carreiro #:
That is still incorrect! A broker will store and manage their own data, on their own servers, using software provided by MetaQuotes, namely MetaTrader server back-end software.
Yes I do think you’re right. The customer support guy’s reply is indeed dubious.

Maybe I still didn’t put that quite clear but he meant MetaQuotes records the price stream and stores it as HISTORY as a service to our traders. The live stream itself is of course carried out by the broker (from their LP) via the backend onto MT5 and they themselves stores no history data.

However as you said it is still wrong. But I believe the broker is probably a legit one. It’s one of the most popular ones happens to have staffs with poor technical knowledge. Anyway I’ll keep an eye on it, thank you for the advice.

eofc01 #: Anyway I’ll keep an eye on it, thank you for the advice.
You are welcome!
Reason: