Do you trade or have you ever traded “Boom” and “Crash”? - page 5

Fernando Carreiro #:

For those that truly wish to understand and not be swayed by their “unfairness”, Boom and Crash are specifically designed to create and exploit “chaos”. As their names obviously state, they can and will suddenly “boom” (price spike), or “crash” (price drop), at the tick quote price level.

They create the illusion of a steady micro-trend and then suddenly reverse, knocking out any tight trailing-stop, while causing large slippage because of a single but large price change, sometimes larger than the entire micro-trend range before it. And there is no way of avoiding these large price slips. If you have an open trade with tight stops, they will be hit, with either a negative or positive slip, depending on what direction you are trading.

At other times, the micro-trend goes on for ages with only sporadic tiny single tick reversals, drawing the traders in, and then … suddenly several large reversals blow everything out of the water, acting as a statistical stop-hunt.

This is the allure (and the danger) of these two synthetics. It creates the illusion that they can be easily traded, but if you failed your college math's, or don’t really know your trading basics, you will be doomed. In other words, they are designed to attract the “newbies” and the inexperienced traders into letting go of their money on a promise of an easy profit.

However, there will be a minority of traders, who are wise to these “tricks”, that can see and appreciate the bigger picture. They will inevitably be able to factor in this very behavior, in the statistical analysis and risk management to circumvent these dangers.

In my case, I’m still not there yet, but I can already see the light at the end of the tunnel. I still need more time to properly understand all of their mechanics. I have been doing this manually and not via an EA, because I concluded that there are some aspects of their behavior that are influenced by the “traders” and by the dealing-desk trading against them. It is not entirely statistical, as I first suspected, but it is still mostly statistical, which allows for EA trading. If I were to use an EA to study them, I would not have been able to pick up on these nuances.

My next step is indeed moving to EA trading, which is what I ultimately want. I don’t want to trade manually long term. I’m only doing it to study them. And I will share some of the code I come up with when I get to that step. For now, observation and study are the keys to not be drawn in by greed.

thank you for your input i have studied this at length to the extent that i am very profitable manually but the same ideas can not be done using EAs, statistics of candles and tick prices, i will come to the use of time functions and closing deals ,for instant if i take 20 trades i need a code that close all instantly once the time has elapsed ,entry points to take 20 trades concurrently at the same price i think i got that but on closing these trades there are delays ,what code could work on this ,i don't mind sharing this, the on tick works for opening positions, next thing there are errors on strategy tester

Amos Tsopotsa #: for instant if i take 20 trades i need a code that close all instantly once the time has elapsed ... what code could work on this 

On MetaTrader, there is no way to place/open or close multiple trades concurrently. There are only two possible solutions I can think of at the moment for closing multiple trades quickly:

• By closing them asynchronously, ignoring failed attempts, and repeating the process until they are all closed. This works faster than waiting for each position close to be confirmed synchronously.
  • Issue an order of the total volume in the opposite direction, to quickly "freeze" the gain, and then using multiple "CloseBy" for each position, to close them all (but only if the broker allows "CloseBy").

Fernando Carreiro #:

On MetaTrader, there is no way to place/open or close multiple trades concurrently. There are only two possible solutions I can think of at the moment for closing multiple trades quickly:

• By closing them asynchronously, ignoring failed attempts, and repeating the process until they are all closed. This works faster than waiting for each position close to be confirmed synchronously.
  • Issue an order of the total volume in the opposite direction, to quickly "freeze" the gain, and then using multiple "CloseBy" for each position, to close them all (but only if the broker allows "CloseBy").

Do you have a sample code you can share 

Amos Tsopotsa #: Do you have a sample code you can share 

Such functionality is usually dependant on the strategy and is interwoven in the code, so I don't have anything separate that I can share.

The documentation however, has sample code in the documentation for TRADE_ACTION_CLOSE_BY

And @fxsaber has publish a library in the CodeBase for asynchronous order processing...

"Asynchronous trading orders have a huge advantage - high speed when sent in bulk. However, the spreading of such orders is hampered by the inconvenience - order result data can only be seen in OnTradeTransaction making users to build an event model of their trading strategy if they want asynchrony. This is not always easy (EAs), and sometimes even impossible (scripts).

The library solves this problem. At any time, it provides access to all transactions in the trading terminal (full data of the appropriate OnTradeTransaction) since the application launch simplifying the process of making your programs asynchronous."

Code Base

TradeTransactions

fxsaber, 2018.10.25 18:37

Access to OnTradeTransaction data anywhere within an application

Fernando Carreiro #:

Such functionality is usually dependant on the strategy and is interwoven in the code, so I don't have anything separate that I can share.

The documentation however, has sample code in the documentation for TRADE_ACTION_CLOSE_BY

And @fxsaber has publish a library in the CodeBase for asynchronous order processing...

"Asynchronous trading orders have a huge advantage - high speed when sent in bulk. However, the spreading of such orders is hampered by the inconvenience - order result data can only be seen in OnTradeTransaction making users to build an event model of their trading strategy if they want asynchrony. This is not always easy (EAs), and sometimes even impossible (scripts).

The library solves this problem. At any time, it provides access to all transactions in the trading terminal (full data of the appropriate OnTradeTransaction) since the application launch simplifying the process of making your programs asynchronous."

thank you i will work around it and share any codes i come up with 

Amos Tsopotsa #:

thank you i will work around it and share any codes i come up with 

picked up a rudimental code that works on these asset classes will share tommorow

Fernando Carreiro #:

For those that truly wish to understand and not be swayed by their “unfairness”, Boom and Crash are specifically designed to create and exploit “chaos”. As their names obviously state, they can and will suddenly “boom” (price spike), or “crash” (price drop), at the tick quote price level.

They create the illusion of a steady micro-trend and then suddenly reverse, knocking out any tight trailing-stop, while causing large slippage because of a single but large price change, sometimes larger than the entire micro-trend range before it. And there is no way of avoiding these large price slips. If you have an open trade with tight stops, they will be hit, with either a negative or positive slip, depending on what direction you are trading.

At other times, the micro-trend goes on for ages with only sporadic tiny single tick reversals, drawing the traders in, and then … suddenly several large reversals blow everything out of the water, acting as a statistical stop-hunt.

This is the allure (and the danger) of these two synthetics. It creates the illusion that they can be easily traded, but if you failed your college maths, or don’t really know your trading basics, you will be doomed. In other words, they are designed to attract the “newbies” and the inexperienced traders into letting go of their money on a promise of an easy profit.

However, there will be a minority of traders, who are wise to these “tricks”, that can see and appreciate the bigger picture. They will inevitably be able to factor in this very behaviour, in the statistical analysis and risk management to circumvent these dangers.

In my case, I’m still not there yet, but I can already see the light at the end of the tunnel. I still need more time to properly understand all of their mechanics. I have been doing this manually and not via an EA, because I concluded that there are some aspects of their behaviour that are influenced by the “traders” and by the dealing-desk trading against them. It is not entirely statistical, as I first suspected, but it is still mostly statistical, which allows for EA trading. If I were to use an EA to study them, I would not have been able to pick up on these nuances.

My next step is indeed moving to EA trading, which is what I ultimately want. I don’t want to trade manually long term. I’m only doing it to study them. And I will share some of the code I come up with when I get to that step. For now, observation and study are the keys to not be drawn in by greed.

I agree, these are awesome,  they are the first instruments i feel confortable trading with because my account is in profits because of them, when i lose money with other instruments i just go to these to break even, my strategy is simple, for day trading,  use M or W formations to confirm bias,  for boom i only trade short on 5 min time frames when 4hr is in M formation and 5min rsi is above 75-80, and mostly only hold position for 15min to 1hr. For crash i only go long on 5min when 4hr is in W formation and RSI is 20-10, i place small lots so that when another spike or crash happens against me i simply place another because by then the spikes and crashes are smaller which make the reversal even more likely. 

Fernando Carreiro #:

The main purpose of this topic is for the general discussion of the synthetic symbols Boom & Crash.

In order to adhere to the forum rules, I respectfully request that there be no discussion about brokers, market products, signals, nor any 3rd party references.

You are free to discuss how these markets behave, your observations, or general impressions. You can discuss outlooks, strategies, Indicators or Expert Advisors, but if you do, they should be open source, either available in the CodeBase or the source provided in the forum.

Please don't discuss forecasts or predictions, or your trade journals. The thread is just a general discussion for those that wish to know more about these two symbols or wish to share their observations about the behaviour of the symbols.

Boom and Crash are highly volatile indices with 50/50 probability. These synthesis indices are better trading off M1 chart where you can see the spikes and crashes then follow them. 

There are a number of indicators and bots from codebase used there. It is not fast cash or money printing machine as so many claims 

Lungile Mpofu #:
Boom and Crash are highly volatile indices with 50/50 probability. These synthesis indices are better trading off M1 chart where you can see the spikes and crashes then follow them. 

There are a number of indicators and bots from codebase used there. It is not fast cash or money printing machine as so many claims 

i disagree with this narrative there is a clear picture on bigger time frames 

Niza Sichitalwe #:
I agree, these are awesome,  they are the first instruments i feel confortable trading with because my account is in profits because of them, when i lose money with other instruments i just go to these to break even, my strategy is simple, for day trading,  use M or W formations to confirm bias,  for boom i only trade short on 5 min time frames when 4hr is in M formation and 5min rsi is above 75-80, and mostly only hold position for 15min to 1hr. For crash i only go long on 5min when 4hr is in W formation and RSI is 20-10, i place small lots so that when another spike or crash happens against me i simply place another because by then the spikes and crashes are smaller which make the reversal even more likely. 

could you share how you do this on a small time frame 

Reason: