Ask/Bid on offline Soft4fx's charts

Hello. I'm using Soft4fx. It can be used for visual backtest. It opens an offline chart in a past time and go ahead tick by tick. I can enable "show ask line" on the offline chart, and it shows the ask line. But my indicator can not read ask price.

Ask     returns zero
SymbolInfoDouble(Symbol(),SYMBOL_ASK);      returns invalid symbol

Anyone can help how should I read ask price given that I can see the ask line.

Testing trading strategies on real ticks
Testing trading strategies on real ticks
  • www.mql5.com
The article provides the results of testing a simple trading strategy in three modes: "1 minute OHLC", "Every tick" and "Every tick based on real ticks" using actual historical data.

Farzad Sadeghishahrestanak: Hello. I'm using Soft4fx. It can be used for visual backtest. It opens an offline chart in a past time and go ahead tick by tick. I can enable "show ask line" on the offline chart, and it shows the ask line. But my indicator can not read ask price. Anyone can help how should I read ask price given that I can see the ask line.

MT4 does not keep a tick data history, and chart data is build up purely with Bid prices. The same holds true for offline charts. So you will never be able to read historical Ask prices. Only the current Ask price is available.

Also, and this probably the reason for your situation, if an Offline Chart is constructed using a modified symbol name so as not to clash with the real chart, then obtaining the Bid and Ask prices for that symbol will report an invalid symbol.

Ask     returns zero
SymbolInfoInteger(Symbol(),SYMBOL_ASK);      returns invalid symbol
Prices are not integers.

Fernando Carreiro #:

MT4 does not keep a tick data history, and chart data is build up purely with Bid prices. The same holds true for offline charts. So you will never be able to read historical Ask prices. Only the current Ask price is available.

Also, and this probably the reason for your situation, if an Offline Chart is constructed using a modified symbol name so as not to clash with the real chart, then obtaining the Bid and Ask prices for that symbol will report an invalid symbol.

It seems you don't get how Soft4fx works. It opens an offline chart at a certain time, like 2021/02/15 16:45, it is the last candle. Then It creates the next candles one by one (simulation live market for backrest with past data). It also shows ask price line. So it has the last candle ask price in some way. But my indicator on that chart can not read the ask price (although I can see it in ask line)

William Roeder #:
Prices are not integers.

Typo... I have fixed it, thank you.

Farzad Sadeghishahrestanak #:It seems you don't get how Soft4fx works. It opens an offline chart at a certain time, like 2021/02/15 16:45, it is the last candle. Then It creates the next candles one by one (simulation live market for backrest with past data). It also shows ask price line. So it has the last candle ask price in some way. But my indicator on that chart can not read the ask price (although I can see it in ask line)

I do know how it works and have answered you appropriately. Soft4x generates Offline Charts with not standard symbol names, and I called your attention to that fact.

But besides that fact I also outlined the fact that there are limiting factors to accessing tick data from MQL code running on the Offline charts.

However, if you claim to to know better, then please direct your queries at the makers of Soft4fx and not here on this forum, as according to the forum rules we should not even be discussing 3rd party products here.

Fernando Carreiro #:

I do know how it works and have answered you appropriately. Soft4x generates Offline Charts with not standard symbol names, and I called your attention to that fact.

But besides that fact I also outlined the fact that there are limiting factors to accessing tick data from MQL code running on the Offline charts.

However, if you claim to to know better, then please direct your queries at the makers of Soft4fx and not here on this forum, as according to the forum rules we should not even be discussing 3rd party products here.

Ok. The 3rd party app is not important here. I do not have question about it. I just wanted to know how I can see ask line in an offline chart, but I can not read it with MQL code!

Farzad Sadeghishahrestanak #: Ok. The 3rd party app is not important here. I do not have question about it. I just wanted to know how I can see ask line in an offline chart, but I can not read it with MQL code!

An Offline Chart is just as the name says, it is "Offline". It is not live! Any Ask line you see on Soft4x's Offline Chart are simulated visually by that software. It isn't real.

Historical tick data is unavailable for ANY chart type. MT4 does NOT keep tick data history, so you cannot access that irrespective of the chart being Offline or Online.

Reason: