What is trailing step? [Solved]

hello,

today i downloaded thihs expert from code base:

https://www.mql5.com/en/code/22001

but for god someone explains me what is trailing step?

what's its the difference with trailing stop?

--------------------------

my stop loss is on 50 pip

my take profit is on 50 pip

now:

i want for each 10 pip in profit, stop loss take place 20 pip behind current price.

TP SL Trailing
TP SL Trailing
  • www.mql5.com
Stop loss and take profit initial setting. Trailing.

Rosita Kazuka: today i downloaded thihs expert from code base: https://www.mql5.com/en/code/22001

Please discuss the issue on the dedicated discussion thread for that CodeBase publication and not the general forum ... Experts: TP SL Trailing

Experts: TP SL Trailing
Experts: TP SL Trailing
  • www.mql5.com
Articles, Library comments: Experts: TP SL Trailing

Fernando Carreiro #:

Please discuss the issue on the dedicated discussion thread for that CodeBase publication and not the general forum ... Experts: TP SL Trailing

the trailing step is everywhere, in another codebase experts. i just want to know about it. this is independent from that specific expert, that just wan an example.

Rosita Kazuka #the trailing step is everywhere, in another codebase experts. i just want to know about it. this is independent from that specific expert, that just wan an example.

Just as you say ... it is everywhere. So do a search (here and on google) and you will find many explanations.

Fernando Carreiro #:

Just as you say ... it is everywhere. So do a search (here and on google) and you will find many explanations.

i searched YouTube and google, but can't find a good explanation, and also i found an article in ctrader that is oposite to another article in ig,

just need to know in metatrader5 and mql5 terminology how trailing step and trailing stop related to eachother?

about mql5 codebase, they don't explained what is trailing step.

Rosita Kazuka #: i searched YouTube and google, but can't find a good explanation, and also i found an article in ctrader that is oposite to another article in ig, just need to know in metatrader5 and mql5 terminology how trailing step and trailing stop related to eachother?

MetaTrader does not have a built-in function for trailing step. It is implemented in the MQL code of EAs by their respective authors. Which means that coders can implement whichever "flavour" of trailing step they wish to use in their EA.

The descriptions of "trailing step" that you found for cTrader or IG or on YouTube are all valid flavours of trailing step that can be implemented in MQL code.

Fernando Carreiro #:

MetaTrader does not have a built-in function for trailing step. It is implemented in the MQL code of EAs by their respective authors. Which means that coders can implement whichever "flavour" of trailing step they wish to use in their EA.

The descriptions of "trailing step" that you found for cTrader or IG or on YouTube are all valid flavours of trailing step that can be implemented in MQL code.

tnx

this is ig articel:

https://www.ig.com/en/glossary-trading-terms/trailing-step-definition#:~:text=A%20trailing%20step%20is%20a,the%20market%20moves%20against%20you.

Trailing step definition
Trailing step definition
  • www.ig.com
A trailing step is a measure of price movement and a key component of a trailing stop order – a type of stop-loss order that follows your position if it earns you profit and closes if the market moves against you.

In basic terms, the trailing step is just the amount of price change that is required before a trailing stop is adjusted.  Normally a trailing sop would adjust continuously every time the maximum favourable excursion increases. With a trailing step, that trailing stop only updates if excursion has been in units of the trailing step amount.

Fernando Carreiro #:

In basic terms, the trailing step is just the amount of price change that is required before a trailing stop is adjusted.  Normally a trailing sop would adjust continuously every time the maximum favourable excursion increases. With a trailing step, that trailing stop only updates if excursion has been in units of the trailing step amount.

Thanks for your favor, 

I'll close this topic.

Reason: