Leverage setting during backtest has no effect at all

Hi 

be carefull. The leverage dropdown has no effect on calculation of margin during backtest. 

People who rely on test results can lose a lot of money in real with this bug! 

Maybe this is wanted, this bug seem to be very old. 

If you trade with Leverage 1:30, the test is maybe 1:500, than you can understand how serious this bug is. 

Funny: When you ask the tester to plot the leverage at the beginning of a test, it repeats the setting. Anyway. It does not work!!!

Tom Buder: be carefull. The leverage dropdown has no effect on calculation of margin during backtest. People who rely on test results can lose a lot of money in real with this bug! 

Maybe this is wanted, this bug seem to be very old. If you trade with Leverage 1:30, the test is maybe 1:500, than you can understand how serious this bug is. Funny: When you ask the tester to plot the leverage at the beginning of a test, it repeats the setting. Anyway. It does not work!!!

I have to disagree with you. I constantly change leverage in my tests to verify my EA's are correctly adjusting for different trading conditions, and it has always worked correctly for me.

If you can provide code that is able to reproduce this problem, I am sure several users will gladly look into it and verify the situation.

Fernando Carreiro #:

I have to disagree with you. I constantly change leverage in my tests to verify my EA's are correctly adjusting for different trading conditions, and it has always worked correctly for me.

If you can provide code that is able to reproduce this problem, I am sure several users will gladly look into it and verify the situation.

I am very new to trading, so it is highly likely that I am doing something wrong, but I also noticed that chagning leverage doesn't always have effect on trading.  For example, if I use an EA on gold to euro (XAUEUR) changing the leverage has exaclty the effect I want.  The same is true when I am trading silver (XAGEUR).

However, when I trade something else (EURO50, NVIDIA or COCACOLA) changing the leverage has no effect whatsoever, the trading results are for me the same if I set leverage 1:1, 1:10 or 1:100.

The only difference I can see is when I check "Specification" for XAUER or XAGEUR, line "Calculation" writes "CFD Leverage", whereas for the other three (EURO50, NVIDIA or COCACOLA), line "Calculation" in "Specifaction" reads only "CFD".

If someone can spend a fine lines to explain me why is it so, I would be highly obliged.

Bojan Niceno #: I am very new to trading, so it is highly likely that I am doing something wrong, but I also noticed that chagning leverage doesn't always have effect on trading.  For example, if I use an EA on gold to euro (XAUEUR) changing the leverage has exaclty the effect I want.  The same is true when I am trading silver (XAGEUR). However, when I trade something else (EURO50, NVIDIA or COCACOLA) changing the leverage has no effect whatsoever, the trading results are for me the same if I set leverage 1:1, 1:10 or 1:100. The only difference I can see is when I check "Specification" for XAUER or XAGEUR, line "Calculation" writes "CFD Leverage", whereas for the other three (EURO50, NVIDIA or COCACOLA), line "Calculation" in "Specifaction" reads only "CFD". If someone can spend a fine lines to explain me why is it so, I would be highly obliged.

Verify that overall leverage and margin requirements are not being overwritten by the specific contract specifications of the symbol being tested.

In the Strategy Tester options, you can click on the [$] icon (on the same line as the symbol selector) and modify the contract specifications to some extent.

Fernando Carreiro #:

Verify that overall leverage and margin requirements are not being overwritten by the specific contract specifications of the symbol being tested.

In the Strategy Tester options, you can click on the [$] icon (on the same line as the symbol selector) and modify the contract specifications to some extent.

Thanks, will go in these directions.
Reason: