I really want to learn MQL5 Where do I start ? - page 3

Aleksandr Kononov:

Where did you start? I don't know English or programming in principle either. Do you have to start writing straight away or do you have to read something? How did you do?

How I started is a long story. Just a tip: Try to understand variables, types and visibility. What a predefined variable is. Try to understand what a condition and a conditional branching are. What a loop is and what loops exist. This is the most basic at a glance. The rest depends on the language. In MQL, as well as in all varieties of C, because mql is a C-like language, you have to understand what a user function is, and what a function is. The documentation has it all. Start by reading the section headings and the names of the functions available. You will understand that there is a section and it has everything you can use. For example, if you need to draw a trend line, you open the section about graphic elements and read there which function can do it... The next, if you read something in the documentation and do not understand it, ask on the forum. You don't have to be sent back to read documentation. Then someone will try to help you understand. Forget the question "How to do..." or "Give me an example and I'll figure it out later...". Documentation should always be "at your fingertips" never stop reading the documentation. That's all there is to it.

muhhacc ccc:
Hi all. I want to learn MQL5 /
Can you guys help me where to start? Are there any video tutorials?
I found some video material but I don't understand more than 80% of what they show how to write EAs by example ( example of various functions and so on ) I need some basics.
Thanks for understanding

Open ME, then open the MQL5 Handbook, and read from the beginning without skipping anything.

The most idiotic advice is to learn c++ instead of emcool.

Dmitry Fedoseev:
The most idiotic advice is to learn c++ instead of emculus.

How do I pass a pointer to a class in a dll? Well, I needed it))) So, knowing a little bit of advantages, I did it, albeit with limitations. I mean, why would you want to learn an "adult" language? Unless, of course, leaving the sandbox is not planned, then yes, in general, it is not necessary.

Vladimir Simakov:

How do I pass a pointer to a class in a dll? Well, I needed it))) So, knowing a little bit of advantages, I did it, albeit with limitations. I mean, why would you want to learn an "adult" language? Nah, unless of course leaving the sandbox is planned, then yeah, you don't really need to.

Using undocumented features ends up breaking everything at some point. There's no point in bothering. Unless it's for the love of art.

C++ and MQL are conceptually different languages.

Those who teach do not understand that you have to put yourself in the student's shoes. They write for themselves, not realising that they need to explain in more detail, down to every punctuation mark. I have read and watched all the materials that were given here. I cannot program in a proper way. You have to explain the syntax for starters. But nobody ever does that. You are told to read C. And when you read a C textbook 90% of unnecessary information is there. I've never seen an intelligible explanation. And what is the most difficult for a beginner, it's just not clear what to write, OK, I roughly know the syntax, how to do things roughly understand. But I don't have an understanding of the whole program. I've never seen an algorithm being written. Then the algorithm is explained, like this block requires so many functions and so many variables. Once again, I repeat that authors of manuals often either speak at their own level, or speak their own thoughts. This is just self-assertion and nothing more. It is impossible to teach in this way because one does not understand what the conversation is about. Here, two things, syntax and algorithms with a detailed explanation. I've never seen it anywhere and it's sorely lacking. And a beginner cannot compose an algorithm, because he has no experience of using the language, and he even understands which block of the algorithm will stand, but does not understand in what place, how to make it, how to link it.

Ivan_Invanov:
Those programmers do not understand that you have to put yourself in the student's shoes. They write for themselves, not realizing that you have to explain in detail, down to each punctuation mark. I have read and watched all the materials that were given here. I cannot program in a proper way. You have to explain the syntax for starters. But nobody ever does that. You are told to read C. And when you read a C textbook 90% of unnecessary information is there. I've never seen an intelligible explanation. And what is the most difficult for a beginner, it's just not clear what to write, OK, I roughly know the syntax, how to do things roughly understand. But I don't have an understanding of the whole program. I've never seen an algorithm being written. Then the algorithm is explained, like this block requires so many functions and so many variables. Once again, I repeat that authors of manuals often either speak at their own level, or speak their own thoughts. This is just self-assertion and nothing more. It is impossible to teach in this way because one does not understand what the conversation is about. Here, two things, syntax and algorithms with a detailed explanation. I've never seen it anywhere and it's sorely lacking. And a beginner cannot compose an algorithm, because he has no experience of using the language, and he even understands which block of the algorithm will stand, but does not understand in what place, how to make it, how to link it.

If you want to learn MQL5 and you are advised to "learn C", send such advisors as far away as possible.

The best way is to set a task (like "I want to output the price of this or that symbol"), then MetaEditor and documentation. When you do not succeed, ask for help on the forum. And so step by step.

Vladimir Karputov:

If you want to learn MQL5 and you are advised to "learn C", send such advisors to the deepest depths.

The best way is to set a task (like "I want to output the price of this or that symbol"), then MetaEditor and documentation. When you do not succeed, ask for help on the forum. And so step by step.

Documentation is not suitable.
It is better to have someone write a tutorial.

Aliaksandr Hryshyn:
The documentation is not suitable.
It would be better if someone wrote a textbook.

I wish they would teach that at school - so that children would wait for the teacher to finish university at last...

While one is waiting for a textbook which has not yet been written, the other will learn it himself and teach the others.

Language documentation is the basis of a language. And you can ask questions about syntax on the forum.

Dmitry Fedoseev:

C++ and MQL are conceptually different languages.

Err... Can I make a point of it ?

Reason: