What is a trend?

Can you give a comprehensive definition?

How do you personally determine when it has started and when it has entered a flat phase (unless it is a trade secret D)

Ivan Butko:

1. It's in any TA book. Can you read?

2. No, we can't. No, we don't need to.) You can get along quite well.

Yuriy Asaulenko:

1. It's in any TA book. Can you read?

2. No, we can't. No, we don't need to.) You can do without it.

It's all blurry and there are no boundaries when the trend ends and the flat starts

Ivan Butko:

It's blurry and there are no boundaries as to when a trend ends and a flat starts

A trend is just that - a trend towards something. Imho, that's enough. I see a trend, and you, for Christ's sake, don't. Well, what clarity do you want?

Ivan Butko:

How do you personally determine when it has started and when it has moved into a flat phase (unless it is a trade secret D)

Uptrend - If each new local High is higher than the previous High and the new local Low is higher than the previous High.

Downtrend- If each new local High is lower than the previous High and the new local Low is lower than the previous High.

The rest is flat.

Vladimir Pastushak:

Uptrend - If each new local High is higher than the previous High and the new local Low is higher than the previous High.

Downtrend- If each new local High is lower than the previous High and the new local Low is lower than the previous High.

The rest is flat

How do you define a local High/Low? What is local and what is not. In formal language. The default binding to the TF is clear.
Usually there is a volatility on the chart

Ivan Butko:

How do you define local High/Low? What is local and what is not. In formal language
Usually on the chart the thrashing is volatile

Ivan Butko:

How do you define local High/Low? What is local and what is not. In formal language. The default binding to the TF is clear.
Usually the trend is volatile on the chart.

I personally believe that the trend should not be tied to High/Low. The trend should be dynamic and each TF clearly indicates this by the quotes.

Vladimir Pastushak:

The rest is flat

It follows that a trend can be somehow defined only a posteriori, and quite subjectively.

Suppose we have passed the local maximum, which is higher, and go down. Are we still in a trend or not anymore?

Vladimir Pastushak:

It's an associative and intuitive understanding. It's like looking at it and it all makes sense. But imagine (I'm not a programmer, I don't know how to phrase it properly) that you are writing to an owl, what would you say to it? In formal language. I think the first thing would be to link it to a TF. I.e., in the definition you can already indicate that the trend is (tra-ta-ta) on a particular TF.

Sergey Novokhatskiy:

I personally believe that the trend should not be tied to High/Low. The trend should be dynamic and each timeframe shows it clearly in the quotes.

Wo, TF. I too see the trend definition as being linked to the TF. Only how to formally express this "dynamism"?

Reason: