I propose a new formula for the volatility indicator

The way I see it, this formula would allow the advisor or trader to enter the market at the right time, as well as not entering.

If there is already something based on this formula, suggest it and I will close this thread. If not, let's make this indicator together, as I lack experience in programming from scratch. Tried to understand a lot of volatility indicators, but I still don't understand a lot of things, unfortunately...

And the formula:

Vol = MathMax(MathAbs(Open[i]-Close[i])*2-MathAbs(High[i]-Low[i]),0); 

Where i is the chosen period to summarise with the value of the last bars prevailing, well like in LWMA.

Any suggestions? Just don't send me anywhere, I've already been everywhere, even in a ban.

borilunad:

And if the movements are strong and the bar closed almost at the opening.... - the volatility will be negative..... and its meaning is somehow lost.

Explain the logic "on your fingers", please. Here, for example, where did you get a 2? Why not a 3? Why not the root of two?

MetaDriver:
No. Negative will be obtained with a uniform unidirectional movement (including within a bar).

I mean the situation when MathAbs(Open[i]-Close[i])*2<MathAbs(High[i]-Low[i]); - will be a quarter of time approximately... i.e. strong movements in the flat may be and volatility is negative

MetaDriver:
Explain the logic "on your fingers", please. Here, for example, where did you get a 2? Why not a 3? Why not the root of two?

This is a subtraction reduction: MathAbs(Open[i] - Close[i]) - (MathAbs(High[i] - Low[i]) - MathAbs(Open[i] - Close[i])

jelizavettka:

I mean the situation when MathAbs(Open[i]-Close[i])*2<MathAbs(High[i]-Low[i]); - will be a quarter time approximately... i.e. strong moves in flat may be and volatility is negative

MathAbs! Always positive!

borilunad:

MathAbs!

When the closing price is equal to the opening price, but not equal to the high and low of the price on that bar, MathAbs will not help. There will be a negative value

borilunad:

MathAbs! It is always positive!

If you subtract a positive value from a greater positive value, you get a negative value. Example: 3-5 = 2

go like this

Vol = MathAbs( MathAbs(Open[i]-Close[i])*2-MathAbs(High[i]-Low[i])); 

borilunad:

Uh, maybe the other way around?

Vol = (High[i] - Low[i])*2 - MathAbs(Open[i] - Close[i]);

jelizavettka:

I mean the situation when MathAbs(Open[i]-Close[i])*2<MathAbs(High[i]-Low[i]); will be a quarter of time approximately... i.e. strong movements in the flat may be, but volatility is negative

Yes I deleted my post almost instantly (after looking at the formula again). :)

TheXpert:

Maybe it's vice versa?

Then no twos at all.

Vol = (High[i] - Low[i]) - MathAbs(Open[i] - Close[i]);

borilunad:

This is a subtraction reduction: MathAbs(Open[i] - Close[i]) - (MathAbs(High[i] - Low[i]) - MathAbs(Open[i] - Close[i]))

This is in letters, not fingers.

// In some circles, equivalent transformations are called "syntactic sugar" and are justifiably considered pointless brain-fucking.

The logic is still not clear.

Reason: