1к15 - page 7

xrust:
The trick with options is that an option is the right to trade at a certain time (European type (vanilla)), or up to a certain time (American type) at a price you predict, which you can walk away from if that price doesn't suit you.

when is that moment? now? tomorrow? on the 1st? more details?

on futures there are specific timeframes - from now to now, you don't guess at the end of the expiry, they reopen at the start of a new futures, but on options?

I wrote either on the expiration date (for European options) or at any point before the expiration date (American options). For exchange options, the expiry dates are linked to the futures because the futures are the underlying asset in relation to the option. for OTC options, the expiry date is whatever you agree with the seller.

xrust: For stock options, the expiry dates are tied to the futures because the futures are the underlying assets in relation to the option.

So a stock option is essentially betting on futures - guessed or unguessed?

What do you mean, as you agree with the seller? imho, it is clear that the seller will sell what is not profitable for him, or what is profitable at a better price.

Don't confuse indices and futures: when you expire a futures contract you MUST trade at your stated price; when you expire an option, you MUST RIGHT.

A stock option is essentially (was originally) an insurance instrument for a futures trade. At the moment it is more of a speculative (betting) instrument, as I wrote about in another thread.

10 quid to whoever does it.

suleiman:
Sorry, I'll pass, even though I drank $100 today.

Name your real price. Don't make people angry if you don't want to learn something new about yourself.

suleiman:
Reason: