[Archive!] Pure mathematics, physics, chemistry, etc.: brain-training problems not related to trade in any way - page 553

Two mothers and two daughters are sitting on a stump, all without exception having a birthday today.
They all turned 100 years old at lunchtime.
And three years ago all the mothers and all the daughters were exactly 93 years old.
How old are each of them if one of the mothers is 33 years older than her daughter?

I have different answers.

Sorry, 62? Wrong number.

62 doesn't come out either.

And now I've messed up :) 65 should be right.

First one year old - second daughter, aka granddaughter

Second 33 years old - first daughter, second mother

Third 66 years old - first mother

hmm 1 34 65 seems to fit too.

Yes, there are many options. Lethal options are best not considered: they don't give a small number of solutions, and it's impossible to look at everything.

I have this reasoning: in 3 years, the mothers are 6 years older in total.

А 100-93=7.

So there is a difference of 1 year. That's the sum of the ages of the newborns. So the daughters are 1 and 0.

One of the mums is 33 years older. Two options: either she's 34, with a 1 year old daughter (and the other mum is 65 with a newborn) - or 33 (her daughter is 0, and the other mum is 66, with a 1 year old daughter).

P.S. But the option that sanyooooook suggested is the most logical one. Well what sensible woman would give birth if she's over 60!

Mathemat:

Yes, there are many options. Lethal options are best not considered: they do not give a small number of solutions, and it is impossible to look at everything.

I have this reasoning: in 3 years, the mums are 6 years older in total.

А 100-93=7.

So there is a difference of 1 year. That's the sum of the ages of the newborns. So the daughters are 1 and 0.

One of the mums is 33 years older. Two options: either she is 34, with a daughter 1 year old (and the other mum is 65 with a newly born daughter) - or 33 (her daughter 0, and the other mum is 66, with a daughter 1).

Gerontophilia is called:)

tara: Gerontophilia is called:)
I think the Guinness Book has a mother who gave birth at 87, but I could be wrong.
Reason: