[Archive!] Pure mathematics, physics, chemistry, etc.: brain-training problems not related to trade in any way - page 423

Richie:

Try to estimate what fraction (%) of the Earth's area is affected by direct sunlight. Do not take into account "flattening of the Earth", eclipses and refraction of rays in the atmosphere.

What does that have to do with it? Strictly speaking, exactly zero))) One point to be exact)

Why 1,000 and not 1,000,000?

Something about the battery effect doesn't fit the picture :)

Abzasc: Why 1,000 and not 1,000,000? Something about the battery effect doesn't quite fit the picture :)
What happened in the last 1000 years we know more accurately than what happened in 1000000 years. It's not that important. 1000 years is quite enough.

alsu:
The usual answer is 50%. In fact, the Sun "illuminates" more than 50% of the Earth's area on average, if you ignore the factors I mentioned above.

Richie:
What happened in the last 1000 years we know more accurately than what happened in 1000000 years. It's not that important. 1,000 years is enough.
But there have been glaciations, with a corresponding increase in reflection... I'll go and think some more.

Richie:
The usual answer is: 50%. In fact, the Sun "illuminates" more than 50% of the Earth's area on average, if you ignore the factors I mentioned above.

OK, fine. The Sun, through diffraction, refraction in the atmosphere and reflection from the Moon, illuminates just over 50% of the surface.

How might this affect the answer?

alsu: OK, fine. The sun, through diffraction, refraction in the atmosphere and reflection from the moon, illuminates just over 50% of the surface. How would that affect the answer?
We are going to discard diffraction and reflection from the moon. There is no need to complicate things. Even without that, the Sun illuminates more than 50% of the surface. But, that's just one element to consider. It's not that simple.

Richie:
Even without this, the Sun illuminates more than 50% of the area.
How much more? What percentage?

sergeev: How much more? What percentage?

Alexei, it's common to ask "Why is it bigger". You can do the math by knowing the diameter of the Earth, the diameter of the Sun and the distance between them. The diameter of the Sun is much larger than the diameter of the Earth, so no matter how far apart they are, the Sun will "illuminate" more than 50% of the Earth's area. But, this is only one point.

What the hell difference does it make how many percent??? Doesn't affect the answer H-I-K-A-K!!!!
Reason: