Interesting question... - page 6

TheXpert >> :

Oh, by the way, another fun challenge.

There's an untethered helium-filled balloon dangling from the ceiling of the carriage. The train is moving. Which way will the balloon move?

Of course forward. The air moves backwards, the helium in the balloon is lighter :)

Choomazik >> :

Of course it's forward. Air moves backwards, helium is lighter :)

Where else does it (air) move in a closed carriage?

To America.)

I think it's backwards.

Mischek >> :

where does it (air) still go in a closed carriage ?

relative to the wagon when the wagon moves. The air density at the end of the carriage will increase, at the front it will decrease. The balloon will fly to where the density is lower (up and forward).

Mischek >> :

To America.)

>> I think it's backwards.

>> mm-hmm. You know how a centrifuge works? The stuff with the higher density goes to the edge, the stuff with the lower density goes to the middle. It's the same here. Only the middle of the centrifuge is the front of the car, the edge is the end.

Choomazik >> :

relative to the carriage when the carriage moves. The air density at the end of the wagon will increase, at the front will decrease. The ball will fly to where the density is less (up and forward).

Basically yes (about air density).

I can't calculate it, but it feels like you need a few g's of acceleration to feel the effect.

On the other hand, the mass of the balloon isn't going anywhere and should be pulling back

Choomazik >> :

Mm-hmm. You know how a centrifuge works? The denser stuff goes to the edge, the less dense stuff goes to the middle. It's the same here. Only the middle of the centrifuge is the front of the car, the edge is the end.

they all move away from the centre due to centrifugal force.

but they take up space according to mass

Andrei, take your mind off the charts, it's peace and quiet out there.

surrendering

Mischek >> :

Basically yes (about air density).

I can't calculate it, but it feels like you need a few g's of acceleration to feel the effect.

On the other hand the mass of the balloon is still there and it should pull back

and the air has gone somewhere? Air has a higher density than a balloon. No *G, the balloon is already flying upwards in defiance of gravity because its density is less than that of air.

Mischek >> :

they all move away from the centre by centrifugal force

but they take up space according to mass.

terminology: mass of what? Probably density. Mass is spoken of in relation to a body.

Reason: