Discussion on MQL4 documentation - page 4

timbo:
This all may be correct, but one question remains - who actually writes and publishes textbooks on programming in the world? Do the developers do it, or do the third-party authors and publishers do it? Developers make the program and the language, writing and publishing a textbook is another business.

And what makes you think a textbook is necessary? If you personally and the three others in this thread need it, it doesn't mean anything. If there was effective demand, there would already be a supply - that's the market.

A normal textbook costs 50-100 bucks. I suggest that those who want to get a quality textbook to contribute fifty bucks. And if these fifty bucks will be enough, it will be possible to hire a decent author who for normal money will work on the textbook as a main job, not between bouts of daily bread. A normal editor will be hired, normal reviewers will be paid, and then the book will be published in normal quality.

And if there is not enough demand, then there is nothing to talk about - empty forum chatter - give me everything more and for free.
  1. A textbook can also be published by developers to popularise the language and platform. And if third-party authors, then, despite the breadth of their souls, they should receive some kind of reward for their work, and that's natural.
  2. What makes you think there are only four people who need a tutorial? If there are no responses in the thread, it does not prove anything. In general, such a survey could be conducted on the forum, but not on this one, but on the forum of traders.
  3. Who are you offering to pay 50 euros to? To you? Why you and why 50? This is chattering, but if there is a real offer, for example from SK, I personally will take it seriously.

timbo:
Yurixx:

Why lump everything you can into one pile?
Why argue the obvious - that a good (and not a good) MQL textbook is a must?

And what makes you think a textbook is necessary? If you personally and the three others in this thread need it, it doesn't mean anything. If there was effective demand, there would already be a supply - it's the market.

It seems that you, dear one, have only read the first two lines of my post. That's a pity. If you had read more, you would have found out what I personally see as a solution to the problem, which actually replaces the writing of a textbook, and in terms of cost is not comparable to it at all.

But you, apparently, instead of making constructive comments, decided to add your contribution to the forum chatter. And you succeeded!

Dmitrich:

1. Who are you offering to knock off 50? You? Why you and why 50? That's just talk, but if there is a real offer, for example from SK, I will personally take it seriously.

I admire your logic. Asking a question, giving a silly answer on behalf of your opponent to immediately accuse them. Brilliant, just brilliant.

I said right off the bat why 50 is the average price of a normal textbook. See for example here - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/104-2277646-5859917?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=C%2B%2B&Go. x=13&Go.y=6&Go=Go

timbo:
Dmitrich:

1. Who are you offering to knock off 50? You? Why you and why 50? This is chit-chat, but if there is a real offer, for example from SK, I will personally take it seriously.

I admire your logic. Asking a question, giving a silly answer on behalf of your opponent, only to immediately accuse him. Brilliant, just brilliant.

I told you right off the bat why 50 is the average price of a normal textbook. See for example here - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/104-2277646-5859917?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=C%2B%2B&Go. x=13&Go.y=6&Go=Go

Timbo! After all, the link you cited sells existing textbooks, not a survey on the need for some textbook by charging $50!

Please keep in mind that the cost per copy of a book (e.g. $10) has very little to do with the real cost of making a book. The cost of making a book may be $100k, but the book itself will cost $0-$10.

Some headless people will still think the book costs $0, but in reality there are those who pay the full cost of creation. If someone doesn't understand that, that's their own personal worldview problem.

Honestly, when it took me a year to learn MQL4, I did not notice the lack of documentation on the language. In MetaEditor, any keyword can be powerfully pressed on the F1 key and it will give you a description of that keyword. Again, the online documentation also shows the description of any language construct.

For example, just compare the description of MQL4 function OrderSend at https://docs.mql4.com/ru/trading/OrderSend and description of PerformanceCounterCategory.Exists method in my favorite Microsoft MSDN Help at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/tzz6bdx9.aspx#- they are almost equal in structure, except that Microsoft provides help in four .NET platform languages - VB, C#, C++ and J#, but in MQL4 the language is one, it's not necessary here.
Then again, MQL Code Base gives even more code examples, not to mention keyword searching.

Maybe, I would suggest to merge the below mentioned language constructs and CodeBase examples for this function on the website in sections Help forPHP, for example, i.e. there are more examples of this function from different sources on the page of function description, just for the use of this function.

I think that MQL-developers sometimes confuse the help for the basic language constructs, and the lack of knowledge on how to combine these constructs into something sensible to make it work properly. The latter comes with experience. You have to try, do your own development, read articles and code of others, and you will get it right. And no one will invent a $100 million monthly income strategy for you, MQL will not help you there.

chv:
Honestly, when it took me a year to learn MQL4, I did not notice the lack of documentation on the language. In MetaEditor, any keyword can be powerfully pressed on the F1 key and it will give you a description of that keyword. Again, the online documentation also shows the description of any language construct.

For example, just compare the description of MQL4 function OrderSend at https://docs.mql4.com/ru/trading/OrderSend and description of PerformanceCounterCategory.Exists method in my favorite Microsoft MSDN Help at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/tzz6bdx9.aspx#- they are almost equal in structure, except that Microsoft provides help in four .NET platform languages - VB, C#, C++ and J#, but in MQL4 the language is one, it's not necessary here.
Then again, MQL Code Base gives even more code examples, not to mention keyword searches.

Maybe, I would suggest to merge the below mentioned language constructs and examples from CodeBase for this function on the website in sections Help forPHP, for example, i.e. there are more examples from various sources for application of this function on the function description page.

I think that MQL-developers sometimes confuse the help for the basic language constructs, and the lack of knowledge on how to combine these constructs into something sensible to make it work the way you want it to. The latter comes with experience. You have to try, do your own development, read articles and code of others, and you will get it right. And no one will invent a $100 million monthly income strategy for you, MQL will not help you there.

You have not had problems because you have had some knowledge of programming. But many people (like me) don't know what PerformanceCounterCategory.Exists and have programmed only a calculator and a washing machine at best. I have strategies in Exel and I have no idea how to translate them into MQL4 code! Not enough help for me and I don't want to learn C++. It will never be useful to me, and I don't have time for such a hobby. What should I and others like me do? Yes, there aren't many of them on this forum, but there are enough traders who understand the need of independent programming in MQL4, but cannot master the language as you do. Maybe it is because of our stupidity or laziness, but there are a lot of such dumb and lazy traders. The manual is not a panacea, but it will allow us at least to understand the principles and basics, learn to set goals and ask questions. Profitable strategies are out of the question - this is another craft.

Dmitrich:
Timbo! After all, the link you provided sells existing textbooks, not a survey on the need for some textbook by charging $50 each!
Again, I'm being bullied by other people's dogs. Did I suggest a poll of any kind anywhere? I know for a fact that internet polls have no scientific/practical value, so I would never suggest such nonsense.

Once again, the average price of textbooks is 50-100 bucks. That's what a normal product costs today. If someone wants to get a textbook there are three options:
- try to convince some publisher that there will be a demand for the book, and then they might risk their money. The selling price will probably be more than 100 bucks - a bonus to the publisher for the risk.
- Get a group of like-minded people to contribute and risk their own money, with a small number of like-minded people, the cost of the textbook will be much higher than 100 bucks.
- Wait for someone to sponsor (spend their own money) the publication of the textbook and distribute it for free or for a ridiculous sum.

It is clear that the latter variant is the closest to a Soviet person. And if so, then there is no need to insist on the necessity of a textbook, we must simply, honestly and without too much sanctimony, start begging, "we are not local people here, give something for the living of those who can".

Dmitrich:
But many people (like me) don't know what PerformanceCounterCategory.Exists is at all and have only programmed a calculator and a washing machine at best. I have strategies in Exel and I have no idea how to translate them into MQL4 code! Not enough help for me and I don't want to learn C++.
Don't be self-deprecating. I've already said in this thread that I've been without programming knowledge too, I've learned only the name of C++. I've learned MQL basics in a week, based on some materials available on the Net, and the basics are enough for very, very many things. Unfortunately I don't have any special talents. I believe the same is available to anyone, except for complete humanitarians. If there is a strategy in excel, it is already 90% of the work done. For someone who has programmed the excel, to translate it into MQL is two or three days at the most.

Dmitrich:
Help is not enough for me, and I don't want to learn C++. It will never be useful to me, and I don't have time for such a hobby. What should I and others like me do?
It's a fun thing to do. I don't want to learn it, but I'm willing to blame the lack of documentation.
Reason: