The fate of the world's currencies in the wake of the demise of the dollar. - page 14

In a period of decline, the late '80s, yes...

And so it came to pass that the dollar was the main weapon in the war that led to the collapse of the USSR.

Unfortunately, that's true.

Олег avtomat:

In a period of decline, the late '80s, yes...

And so it came to pass that the dollar was the main weapon in the war that led to the collapse of the USSR.

Unfortunately, that's true.

Yes? Well, I stand by my old view that the union collapsed because there was nothing to eat. The dollar had nothing to do with it. But how can it be that the ussr produced more wheat per capita than the ussr and the ussr bought wheat from the ussr every year because there was a shortage of it is a mystery... How could there be more combine harvesters per year in USSR than in the rest of the world, but there was nothing to remove grain from the fields and more than 30 per cent of the crop rotted away is also a mystery...

how to attach the insidious dollar to this - I don't know.

Дмитрий:

Yes? Well, I stand by my old view that the union collapsed because there was nothing to eat in it. The dollar had nothing to do with it. But how can it be that the ussr was harvesting more wheat per capita than the ussr and the ussr was buying wheat from the ussr every year because there was a shortage of it is a mystery... How could there be more combine harvesters per year in USSR than in the rest of the world, but there was nothing to harvest and more than 30 per cent of the crop rotted away...

You know everything... Your hatred is very grotesque -- even the name you write in small letters, but the object of your adulation you write only in capital letters. Well, it's common for a liberal...

The dollar, personally I think, is having a hard time and I think its economic bubble will burst sooner or later. But as long as all is well, all is well.

Alexandr Saprykin:

Gold mania has been going on for hundreds of years

So gold is really a finite resource, unlike the quid. I have worse fears. Right now, the states have one option - to undermine order in the world as much as possible, so that everyone knows who is the big boss. And we have seen it in recent years, colour revolutions in the East, Afghanistan, sanctions, etc. And they have a military development budget comparable to Russia's GDP. It is development, not the military budget!

Alexandr Saprykin:

In practice? You probably mean that as individuals you were not allowed to buy currency? And the rate you mentioned was for speculators. But when travelling abroad, it was possible to exchange a small amount of money for dollars at the official rate.

They used to put you in jail for buying currency. Two or three years, I do not remember exactly. Only when travelling abroad, as you correctly point out.

This is why the exchange rate was artificially regulated. But so was everything else.

Дмитрий:

Yeah. And, for example, nylon coats, sheepskin coats, jeans, anaraks, tape recorders and other things that weren't made in the USSR and bought with dollars

And as 40 years ago a bottle of vodka cost 3.62 ($4), and at the current rate it still does. Stability.

Alexey Volchanskiy:
So gold really is a finite resource, unlike the quid. I have worse concerns. Right now, the states have no choice but to mess up the world as much as they can, so everyone knows who's boss. And we have seen it in recent years, colour revolutions in the East, Afghanistan, sanctions, etc. And they have a military development budget comparable to Russia's GDP. It is development, not the military budget!

Well, it has long been known that modern warfare is pure business. What would happen to the states and the dollar if they didn't go to war on every corner?

Alexandr Saprykin:

And just as a bottle of vodka cost 3.62 ($4) 40 years ago, it still does at the current rate. Stability.

A litre of petrol - 10 kopecks, unlimited use of gas in a flat - 4 kopecks per month, accommodation in a hostel of the university - 1,5 rubles per month, luxurious dinner with a glass of sour cream - 50 kopecks, education in an institute - free and a stipend, ......., - the present generation will not believe this fact. It is not clear at what stage of development and why they did not hold on to what they had achieved.

Дмитрий:

Yes? Well, I stand by my old view that the union collapsed because there was nothing to eat in it. The dollar had nothing to do with it. But how can it be that the ussr was harvesting more wheat per capita than the ussr and the ussr was buying wheat from the ussr every year because there was a shortage of it is a mystery... How could there be more combine harvesters per year in USSR than in the rest of the world, but there was nothing to remove grain from the fields and more than 30 per cent of the crop rotted away is also a mystery...

There was nothing to eat because the traitors who had seized power from the Gorbachev brigade, gutted and bought by the US, had purposely cut off all supply lines. Wheat grown in the USSR was sold for a penny abroad by these comrades to their laundering firms, and then these laundering firms sold it back to the USSR at triple the price.
Reason: