The oil issue ... - page 56

Alexey Volchanskiy:
I see. It's just that my knowledge in the field is at Popular Mechanics level )), I haven't seen anything about laser fusion in a while. I get it with the military, they are a dope for technology in general.
About a year ago, the Americans announced to the world another achievement in this experiment with great pomp.

ITER has plenty of problems - the first wall problem, multiple instabilities, critical magnetic field parameters, technological difficulties, and the need to provide a temperature gradient from tens of millions of degrees of plasma torus to near absolute zero for superconducting magnets, just what I remembered on the fly.

Дмитрий:

Once again, for all you monkeys out there - ALL thermonuclear reactors use lasers.

ALL FUSION REACTIONS TAKE PLACE AT CERTAIN PRESSURES AND TEMPERATURES IN THE REACTOR'S WORKING AREA - ONLY LASERS CREATE THEM.

In tokamaks, heating and compression are caused by current pulses passing through plasma cords; in stelators, compression is caused by special external magnets, and heating by current pulses. It's the same with pinching. There are exotic pinch designs with laser heating, but this is rather exotic.

sibirqk:

ITERA has plenty of problems - the first wall problem, numerous instabilities, critical magnetic field parameters, technological difficulties, the need to provide a temperature gradient of tens of millions of degrees for plasma cords, to near absolute zero for superconducting magnets - just what I can remember at a glance.

All this is bullshit. If the Russians do it, everything is solved)))
The point is that it has to be relatively cheap and sulfurous.
Otherwise it will just be an expensive ride...

Vizard_:
It's all bullshit. If Russians do it, everything is solved)))
The point is that it should be relatively cheap and serdito.
Otherwise it will just be an expensive ride...

Well, the Russians are only involved in ITER, it is a pan-European project.

And in principle it is - it is just an expensive, no super-expensive ride.

Презентация "Tesla Energy" (На русском)
Презентация "Tesla Energy" (На русском)
  • www.youtube.com
http://teslauto.ru/ https://vk.com/elonmusk Источник: https://youtu.be/NvCIhn7_FXI

Дмитрий:

Could you be more specific about this one?

I always thought that all current existing fusion reactions were helium reactions, that fusion reactions of hydrogen isotopes always give a helium plasma as an output.

And that helium fusion without hydrogen isotopes (B, Li) is a distant future, as they give a more powerful flux without induced radioactivity

So heavy hydrogen isotopes are the best fuel for a controlled fusion reaction. Aren't they? If another kind of fuel is used, the problem is that the fusion reaction is much harder to maintain, since the D-T reaction is the first minimally necessary step.

Achieving conditions for the deuterium + helium-3 reaction is much more difficult. D-3He is a hundred times harder than D-T, because of the triple product of density over temperature over holding time.

How much hydrogen and how much helium-3 on earth? And the price of the former and the latter if you compare? Alas, helium is very sad, so enjoy the children helium balloons while you can :)

---

The main problem for producing controlled fusion is that the high-temperature plasma cannot be contained for long enough. Getting a high-temperature plasma is not a problem for a long time, i.e. temperature plays a role in fusion, but only an initial one. The main thing is to ignite the reaction, but until you wait for this to happen, the whole installation at least heats up to critical temperatures, and it is destroyed.

Why?

Plasma, what is it? It's a highly ionized gas, right? I mean, when we heat it up, we get a low-temperature plasma first. And the beauty about this low-temperature plasma is that it gets very nice electrical and magnetic properties, i.e. it's very easy to control with magnetic fields, it's quite stable. But by continuing to heat it, we end up with high-temperature plasma, and so it is already much less stable compared to low-temperature plasma, and it is much more difficult to control the magnetic field, to keep it down, because there are such reactions that particles fly out of this plasma, literally break through the magnetic field, which ultimately destroys the installation and the longer such plasma is kept, the more it destabilizes and the more damage it brings to the chamber.

In general, no matter how you look at it, the energy is spent more than it is received, and continues to be received less than it is spent on the entire process. Perhaps in the future there will be some breakthrough in the containment of high-temperature plasma, but so far the same mistakes have been made. Although some have put forward the idea of multilayer magnetic fields, but I have not heard of it coming to fruition.

Дмитрий:

Once again, for all you monkeys out there - ALL thermonuclear reactors use lasers.

ALL THERMONUCLEAR REACTIONS TAKE PLACE AT CERTAIN PRESSURES AND TEMPERATURES IN THE REACTOR'S WORKING AREA - ONLY LASERS CREATE THEM.

Wait. The Wendelstein 7-X uses microwave radiation for heating, or am I confused?

"...Using two megawatts of microwave heating, physicists heated a rarefied cloud of hydrogen to a temperature of 80 million degrees Celsius and kept the resulting plasma in equilibrium..."

It turns out the energy output would have been, if optimistically taken at 2 seconds, somewhere around 1.11 * 10-5 kilowatt*hour. A major breakthrough :)

Marat Sultanov:

Wait. The Wendelstein 7-X used microwave radiation for heating, or am I confused?

No, I'm confused.

sibirqk:

Sorry
Reason: