How can I tell if I have decompiled or not? - page 14

Vladimir Pastushak:
I completely agree with you Artyom Trishkin and with Andrey F. Zelinsky this is a brazen boorish theft...
Thank you. But here this person has been doing it for several years and he feels like that on our common resource. This topic came up a few years ago about the same thing, so what? I'm afraid he will continue to be a "cool" programmer, using other people's intellectual work openly and brazenly - little attention to his theft - he does not decompile Igor's codes. He just says that they belong to him. And we don't have to deal with such moral and ethical complexities here. We have a clumsy approach: we only catch even questionable involvement in decompilation.

Artyom Trishkin:
Ours is clumsy: we only catch even questionable involvement in decompilation.

not "clumsy" -- but "one-sided" -- catching one thing and not catching another -- a kind of one-eyed, half-blind, half-deaf Themis

Andrey F. Zelinsky:

Even if it doesn't say who wrote it, somebody else wrote it, not you.

And if you copyright that code, you're stealing someone else's intellectual property.

And if you put it in CodeBase, your code should be expunged and your registration taken down.

While I was in charge of codebase 4, I fought it as hard as I could, which caused a flurry of outrage, by the way.

Nikolay Demko:

OK, so we've taken apart a certain absolute, now let's detail it:

if I took someone else's code and changed one letter, does that give me the right to change the copyright? the question is rhetorical, the answer is no.

And if I changed 10 000 lines? The question is also rhetorical, the answer is yes.

now let's measure the margin :)

how many liters may you put your copyright in the code you changed?

as far as i remember, when we were talking about changing at least 10% of the code.

Andrey F. Zelinsky:
The posts above give an example of changes -- there's Kim's code and Vladon's code -- is there a copyright infringement there?

I'm not a judge, I can't answer that question unequivocally. After all, comments are not copyright.

Personally I leave the comments of the author in such cases, only added them with my own, if I made corrections (but I do it for myself and not to save some imaginary copyright, I call imaginary because the comments are not copyright).

If in my opinion I did not rework the code too much, I leave the copyright to the author. If the code is sufficiently (again, imho) processed, then I put my copyright, especially if changes are not only formal (naming variables, stylization, and changed the idea of code).

Now you see how shaky everything is and can't do without a specific analysis. And to waste the time of a tertiary judge, you need at least an appeal from the author about the violation of his rights.

Andrey F. Zelinsky:

not "clumsy" -- but "one-sided" -- catching one thing and not catching another -- a kind of one-eyed, half-blind, half-deaf Themis

Look: the customer, presumably unaware, attached to the application a decompiled indicator, and heads went flying left and right. For 10 years, Carl!

Vladon has openly appropriated the authorship of many of Igor Kim's functions. If you give a fiver for every fact at least ... ...that's... That's a life sentence.

Rustamzhan Salidzhanov:
While I was in charge of the fourth codabase, I fought it as best I could, which caused a flurry of outrage by the way.
So the issue needs to be raised. The resource is developing, the number of codes is growing. Selling of other people's programs in the Market is present, there are examples of "popular" programs with changed names. There is a codebase where they are uploaded for free and in open source. If we don't raise the issue of protection of our copyrights, then what is the price of our community?

Rustamzhan Salidzhanov:
As far as I remember, when there was a discussion, there was something about changing at least 10% of the code.
The guys here are arguing that comments are copywriting, and therefore part of the code, which means that the same 10% includes changes to the comments :)

Rustamzhan Salidzhanov:
While I was in charge of the fourth kodobase, I fought it as best I could, which caused a flurry of outrage by the way.
I remember these resentments, but I remember many people agreeing that it is unethical at the very least to appropriate someone else's property.

Nikolay Demko:
The guys here are arguing that comments are copywriting, and therefore part of the code, which means that the same 10% includes changes to the comments :)
Do you understand what you're saying? According to you, changing the copyright is changing part of the code. You're such a demagogue.
Reason: