a trading strategy based on Elliott Wave Theory - page 62

2 grasn
I read this algorithm today in the book "Fractal Analysis". I implemented it by a different algorithm according to other formulas. I go from 1 to N and for each current n count log(R/S) and log(N). Then I build an approximating straight line y(x)=ax+b. The coefficient a is the Hurst exponent.

Perhaps the problem is that you are building a regression on the whole set of samples.
This, as far as I understand, is wrong. With small values of N the points may lie on a completely different straight line or behave in an inadequate way. In order to approximate a straight line, one should take only the right part of the constructed curve, and precisely that part which lies on the regression line accurately enough. Peters, on the other hand, showed that there is a kink in this constructed line.

Send me your sample (inflow) as a text file for which you have calculated the index (e-mail: grasn@rambler.ru), and I will try to calculate the Hearst index on my algorithm and give you the result. Simply, right now I'm using inflow as Close[i].

What will a simple column of only inflow figures with Hearst figure message give you, without knowing the sample itself, for which this calculation has been made? I decided to keep it simple. I have posted a picture showing the Hearst figure for the channels in the top left hand corner. Channel 1 is the longest, channel 4 the shortest on the graph. I think this will be more than enough for you to check your calculation algorithm.
https://c.mql5.com/mql4/forum/2006/06/channels_EURUSD.zip

2 grasn
I read this algorithm today in the book "Fractal Analysis". I implemented it by a different algorithm according to other formulas. I go from 1 to N and for each current n count log(R/S) and log(N). Then I build an approximating straight line y(x)=ax+b. The coefficient a is the Hurst exponent.

Perhaps the problem is that you are building a regression on the whole set of samples.
This, as far as I understand it, is wrong. For small values of N the points may lie on a completely different straight line or behave in an inadequate way. In order to approximate a straight line, one should take only the right part of the constructed curve, and precisely that part which lies on the regression line accurately enough. Peters, on the other hand, showed that there is a kink in this constructed line.

It is quite possible. Here is a quote from a book once provided by Vladislav: "The wave-like behavior of the data indicates the existence of patches of different degrees (or, as they say, strength) of persistence on different timescales. That's what it looks like by eye. The question arises - by how much to shift to the right? And for sure it will affect the result, but for the better or for the worse.

Do you think the average inflow should be taken the same for all n, calculated for N or should be calculated for each n, moving towards N

PS: Forgive me, I like accuracy, or rather I was accustomed to it in MAI.

Пришлите мне вашу выборку (приток) в виде текстового файлика для которого у Вас рассчитан показатель.(можно на e-mail: grasn@rambler.ru), а я попробую подсчитать показатель Херста на своем алгоритме и выдам результат. Просто, сейчас я использую приток в виде Close[i].

What would a simple column of inflow-only figures giving you the Hearst figure without knowing the very sample for which this calculation was made? I decided to keep it simple. I have posted a picture with the Hearst figure for the channels in the top left hand corner. Channel 1 is the longest, channel 4 the shortest on the graph. I think this will be more than enough for you to check your calculation algorithm.
https://c.mql5.com/mql4/forum/2006/06/channels_EURUSD.zip

I did not manage to immediately understand the sample itself and its length from the picture. Probably, I must have an expanded mind, but how to widen it? :о)))

The question arises - by how much to shift to the right? And for sure it will affect the result - for better or for worse.

It seems to me that the regression used to determine Hurst should be drawn from the end of the curve. And the criterion for the value of the interval can probably be taken as the slope of the obtained channel. As soon as it exceeds, say, 3-5% of the Log(R/S) value (i.e. begins to diverge), stop there.

Do you think the average inflow should be the same for all n, calculated for N, or still calculate for each n, moving to N

Different sources diverge on this issue. And it is not even so much about the average, as about R/S. Many people believe that the sko should be taken for the largest sample N and only the spread should be taken for sample n. I, however, believe that this approach makes no mathematical (and physical) sense. All the values in the calculation should refer to the same sample.

The picture does not tell us what the sample itself is and how long it is. Probably, it is necessary to have enlarged consciousness, but how to enlarge it? :о)))

I enlarged my mind exclusively with information given in this thread :o))). Try it too. Maybe it will help? I can only recommend you to read slowly at least Vladislav's posts and some of mine. In some posts (not all, because many posts were just scientific pointing fingers in the sky ;o)!) I laid out the basic gist of the strategy - or rather how I understand it.

Сходу разобраться в самой выборке и ее длине как-то не получилось по картинке. Вероятно, надо уже иметь расширенное сознание, только вот чем его расширять? :о)))

I've been expanding my consciousness solely with the inoformations mentioned in this thread :o))). Try it too. May be it helps? I can only recommend you to read slowly at least Vladislav's posts and some of mine. In some posts (not all, because many posts were just scientific pointing fingers in the sky ;o)!) I laid out the basic gist of the strategy - or rather how I understand it.

Took your advice and reread your code again slowly and carefully on page 12 of 13.05.06 13:07. (notice, not only him) I think I understood why you can't give the "influx" in the text file. You, just don't have it.

I assume that the principles of calculation outlined in your post remain the same to this day. The calculation of H is done by the resulting formula:
H=log(R/S)/log(0.5*N)

To calculate R, you use:
pMin=Low[...]
pMax=High[...]

R=pMin-pMax

Open[]

It turns out that you are formally calculating something else than the Hearst index. Of course, Open[], Low[], High[] are all values of the same price. But from the point of view of the formula - they don't make up "inflow" or rather sequence (time - value). We cannot tell for a bar what and when was the first High[] or Low[]. The calculation itself is also a bit "broken" (put in quotes).

I remember that the method is specifically modified, but in this case quite a deep modification. I'm not questioning the correctness of calculations, I just want to understand what caused such, quite different from classic approach (definition of Hurst index in all sources is the same and does not coincide with "definition" in the algorithm) . I have not found in any source a restriction on method of calculation I use, there are no recommendations like "use only for Brownian motion". It's a good, accurate method (unless they lie, of course)

I still want to write classical Hearst calculation, and I'm sure (nobody has convinced me yet) that it will work no worse than stated algorithms.

At least I'll know for sure that I'm calculating Hearst.

PS: I think it's all about influx, I just wish I could sort out my own issues.

I think I understand why you can't give the "inflow" in the text file. You just don't have it.

Of course, formally, there is no file - why do I need it? I don't create any files for calculations. All data is simply stored in arrays, and the necessary data is displayed on the chart.
In Vladislav's algorithm, the inflow is the difference between the price of the current bar and the projection of the linear regression channel calculated for the sample that does not include the current bar.
The calculation formula remains the same H=log(R/S)/log(0.5*N).
It turns out that formally it is not the Hearst index that is calculated at all, but something else.

Indeed it is and it's been said a million times in this thread.
I remember that the method is specifically modified, but in this case it is quite a deep modification.

Yes, deep modification - specifically to solve our problem.
I haven't found in any source a restriction on the calculation method I use, there is no recommendation anywhere like "use only for Brownian motion". It's a good, accurate method (if they don't lie, of course).
I have already tried to explain to you in detail what that calculation from the book is suitable for, but apparently you still have your own opinion. Well you have every right for that.
I still want to write a classic Hearst calculation, and I'm sure (no one has convinced me otherwise yet) that it will work just as well as the outlined algorithms.
We are waiting for your algorithm. What if it really turns out to be more accurate? But first you must clearly formulate the problem for which you are looking for your "classical" algorithm.

Возникает вопрос – на сколько смещаться вправо? И ведь наверняка это повлияет на результат, вот только в лучшую или в худшую сторону.

It seems to me that the regression used to determine Hurst should be drawn from the end of the curve. You can probably take the slope of the obtained channel as a criterion of the interval size. As soon as it exceeds, say, 3-5% of Log(R/S) (i.e. begins to diverge), put a point on it.

Do you think the average inflow should be the same for all n, calculated for N, or do you think it should be calculated for each n, moving towards N

Different sources diverge on this issue. And it is not even so much about the average, as about R/S. Many people believe that the sko should be taken for the largest sample N and only the spread should be taken for sample n. I, however, believe that this approach makes no mathematical (and physical) sense. All the values in the calculation should refer to the same sample.

I will definitely try your recommendations. We agree on the choice of mean and RMS. I have implemented such an approach in my algorithm (if I haven't got it wrong).

In the sources I am also confused by the fact that all the calculations are based on a year. A year in the nature is a cycle. No hydraulic engineer will give his opinion on "will the dam burst or not burst" event basing only on data of dry three-month summer. And this philosophy cannot yet be transferred to quotations - how much to take N, what criteria. There is only vague reasoning on the subject. Of course, it all depends on the objective.

I have another request for you. It's not very convenient to ask (but I have to be cheeky, sorry), but could you please have a fresh look at my code for deviations from calculation logic and errors. I'm not asking you to write it, I'll do it myself. It will be enough to say that there is such and such an error here, look at such and such a formula.

<br/ translate="no"> Of course, technically there is no file - why do I need one? I don't create any files in my calculations. All data is simply stored in arrays and the necessary data is plotted.
In Vladislav's algorithm, the inflow is the difference between the price of the current bar and the projection of the linear regression channel calculated for the sample that does not include the current bar.
The calculation formula remains the same H=log(R/S)/log(0.5*N).

I must have expressed myself incorrectly. I meant the influx itself, of course, not the presence of a file. In your algorithm it is formally absent.

And it's really pointless to "nag" the data, my Hurst won't match your Hurst. :o))))

Indeed it is and it's been said a million times in this thread.

It has been said millions of times about the Hearst indicator and the approaches and treatment of it as a Hearst indicator.

I have already tried to explain to you in detail why this calculation from the book is suitable, but apparently you still have your own opinion. Well, you're entitled to it.

I do appreciate the explanations. But I haven't found any confirmation of them. Nothing prevents one from calculating Hearst using these methodologies (various sources do so, including markets).

We are waiting for your algorithm. What if it really turns out to be more accurate? But first you must clearly define the problem for which you are going to look for your "classic" algorithm.

Thanks for your support. I will try my best, hope for further advice and participation from you. :о))))
Reason: